Earthquake Alert – U.S. Embassy Ankara
Location: Izmir, Turkey
Event: The U.S. Embassy Ankara received initial reports of a 6.6 magnitude earthquake which occurred offshore just south of Izmir. The initial earthquake was followed by a tsunami in Seferhisar, which caused localized flooding. There are initial reports of collapsed buildings and casualties.
Other western Turkish provinces, including Usak, Denizli, Manisa, Balikesir, Aydin, and Mugla saw minor damage to some buildings. Expect aftershocks hours, days, or weeks after the main quake. Use caution as aftershocks can cause building damage and falling debris.
The U.S. Embassy recommends American citizens check in with friends and family and monitor the Republic of Turkey’s Disaster & Emergency Management Authority Earthquake Department’s (AFAD) for the latest developments: https://deprem.afad.gov.tr/?lang=en
Actions to Take:
- Seek secure shelter.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- U.S. Embassy (Ankara, Turkey)
110 Ataturk Boulevard
- U.S. Consulate General (Istanbul, Turkey)
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer- Istanbul / Turkey
- U.S. Consulate (Adana, Turkey)
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana – TÜRKİYE
- U.S. Consular Agency (Izmir, Turkey)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444