The Regional English Language Office (RELO) of the Public Affairs Section:
- Works with officials, administrators and teachers from both the government and private sector, as well as English teaching associations, to make the teaching of English more effective and to disseminate information on American culture and institutions;
- Administers a range of American and Turkish exchange programs for teachers and learners of English;
- Assists in the organization and implementation of professional development programs for English language teachers, including conferences, seminars and workshops;
- Advises on questions pertaining to English Language Teaching (ELT), conducts needs assessments, and offers guidance on all aspects of an academic program;
- Coordinates a distribution program to make high-quality ELT materials and reference sources more accessible.
For more information or to make a request, please call (312) 457-7347 or email email@example.com.
Regional English Language Programs
English Language Specialist Program. The English Language Specialist Program recruits U.S. academics in the fields of Teaching English as a Foreign Language (TEFL) / Teaching English as a Second Language (TESL) and Applied Linguistics for short-term assignments to Turkey.
English Language Fellow Program. The ELF Program brings U.S. educators in the field of Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages (TESOL) to Turkey on ten-month fellowships.
E-Teacher Scholarship Program. The E-Teacher Scholarship Program offers online, graduate level classes to English teaching professionals in Turkey through the University of Oregon.
English Access Microscholarship Program. The Access Program provides a foundation of English language skills to talented 13- to 21 year-old Turkish students from disadvantaged sectors through after-school classes and intensive summer sessions.
English Language Teaching Materials
American English Website. American English is a one-stop shop for teaching and learning English and finding out about American culture.
English Teaching Forum. Forum is a quarterly journal for professionals teaching English as a Foreign or Second Language, published by the Office of English Language Programs, Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
Trace Effects. Trace Effects is a collaborative English language video game experience that helps students ages learn English and explore American culture through puzzles, games, and adventures in an interactive world.
Other Exchange Programs
Teaching Excellence and Achievement Program. The TEA Program provides outstanding Turkish secondary school teachers of English with a six-week academic program at a U.S. university graduate school of education. Submit applications to ELOTurkey@yahoo.com
Fulbright Foreign Language Teaching Assistant Program. The Fulbright FLTA Program provides young Turkish teachers of English with the opportunity to refine their teaching skills and broaden their knowledge of American cultures and customs while strengthening the instruction of Turkish at colleges and universities in the United States.
Fulbright English Teaching Assistant Program. The Fulbright ETA Program places recent college graduates and young professionals as English teaching assistants in Turkish universities – improving Turkish students’ English language abilities and knowledge of the United States while increasing the U.S. student’s own language skills and knowledge of the host country.