January 1, 2017
There are reports of gunfire near Reina nightclub in Ortakoy in Istanbul. Multiple casualties have been reported. U.S. citizens should avoid the area. We strongly urge U.S. citizens in Turkey to directly contact concerned family members in the United States to advise them of your safety.
The U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul reminds U.S. citizens that extremist groups are continuing aggressive efforts to conduct attacks in areas where U.S. citizens and expatriates reside or frequent. U.S. citizens are reminded to be aware of their immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds or crowded places when possible, especially in locations where Westerners, tourists, and expatriates are known to frequent, including but not limited to restaurants, commercial centers, places of worship, and transportation hubs.
U.S. citizens are reminded to review personal security plans, ensure communication connectivity, to remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, and to monitor local news for breaking events. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
· See the State Department’s travel website<http://travel.state.gov/> for the Worldwide Caution<http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/worldwide-caution.html>, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information<http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/country/turkey.html>.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program<https://step.state.gov/step/> (STEP<https://step.state.gov/step/>)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara<http://turkey.usembassy.gov/>, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
· Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul<http://istanbul.usconsulate.gov/>, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
· Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana<http://adana.usconsulate.gov/>, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
· Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov<mailto:Izmir@state.gov>.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).