Health Alert: COVID-19 Related Restrictions in Turkey
- On June 11, Turkey announced opening the majority of its international air, land, and sea borders. The border with Iran remains closed.
- Turkish Airlines has upcoming direct flights to the U.S. departing from Istanbul and flying direct to the following cities (all flights are subject to change or cancellation so monitor airline websites):
- June 19 Istanbul (IST) to Chicago O’Hare (ORD); TK 5
- June 19 Istanbul (IST) to Washington, Dulles (IAD); TK 7
- June 22 Istanbul (IST) to Miami (MIA); TK 77
- June 24 Istanbul (IST) to Los Angeles (LAX); TK 9
- According to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Turkey will not pursue overstay penalties against foreign nationals unable to depart due to COVID-19, as long as you depart Turkey within one month of the international border opening date. We understand this to mean you will not be fined if you leave Turkey by July 11, 2020. You may need to show immigration officials evidence of your inability to depart, such as a canceled flight reservation. Residency permit information is available at https://en.goc.gov.tr/
Actions to Take:
- Information regarding other commercial flight options is available on the U.S. Embassy COVID-19 webpage.
- If you have previously purchased tickets on a commercial airline, we recommend that you reconfirm with the airlines that the flight is operational and verify the transit country’s entry requirements prior to your departure.
- Carry identity and travel documents with you at all times.
- Review local resources for more information:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Turkey.
- Turkish Ministry of Health COVID-19
- Turkish Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure
- Turkish Presidency’s interactive COVID-19 web page
- U.S. Embassy (Ankara, Turkey)
110 Ataturk Boulevard
- U.S. Consulate General (Istanbul, Turkey)
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer- Istanbul / Turkey
- U.S. Consulate (Adana, Turkey)
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana – TÜRKİYE
- U.S. Consular Agency (Izmir, Turkey)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
- Follow the Embassy’s primary social media accounts: Twitter and Facebook