March 24, 2020
Event: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Issues Level 3 Health Notice for Turkey
On March 23, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) issued a Level 3 COVID-19 Health Notice for Turkey warning travelers to avoid all nonessential travel to Turkey. Please note the following key points:
- Turkey is experiencing widespread ongoing transmission of a respiratory illness caused by the novel (new) coronavirus (COVID-19).
- CDC recommends that travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Turkey.
- Older adults and people of any age with serious chronic medical conditions are at increased risk for severe disease.
- Travelers should avoid contact with sick people and wash their hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Travelers returning from Turkey should stay home for 14 days after returning from travel, monitor their health, and practice social distancing.
U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Turkey.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest information regarding travel to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy (Ankara, Turkey)
- U.S. Consulate General (Istanbul, Turkey)
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer- Istanbul / Turkey
- U.S. Consulate (Adana, Turkey)
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana – TÜRKİYE
- U.S. Consular Agency (Izmir, Turkey)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444