April 9, 2020
Event: Message to U.S. citizens – Update on COVID-19 and Related Restrictions
- On April 8, the Turkish Minister of Health confirmed a total of 38,226 COVID-19 cases, 812 related deaths, and 1,492 patients in intensive care.
- Limited commercial flights from Turkey remain available with connections to the United States. However, commercial flight options are decreasing in frequency, and we cannot guarantee the future availability of flights. If you are considering returning to the United States, we strongly urge you to book commercial options now.
- If you are a U.S. citizen trying to get home, we want to know. Please contact our consular team at the email addresses at the bottom of this page and provide a local phone number.
Actions to Take:
- If you have previously purchased tickets, we recommend that you reconfirm with the airlines that the flight is operational and verify the transit country’s entry requirements prior to your departure.
- For transit through France, please follow the instructions here and complete the required International Travel Certificate to Mainland France.
- If you are traveling by road to reach an airport in a different province, please contact the district governor’s office to obtain permission to travel by land for your international departure. In addition, inform us by filling out this form with your name, date of birth, passport number, current location, mobile phone number and flight information (number, date, time), so we can track your request.
- Carry identity and travel documents with you at all times.
- Seek travel permission from your governor’s office for inter-city travel to Istanbul for immediate departure from Turkey. Notify the Embassy on the form referenced above so we can doubletrack the process.
- Comply with local authorities at check points and clearly state your intention to seek immediate departure from Turkey.
- Visit the Turkish General Directorate of Civil Aviation for up to date information on Turkey’s international flights.
- Visit the Turkish Airlines Coronavirus webpage for information on Suspended flights, Travel restrictions, Zero change fee, Flexible change, Online transactions, and their Announcements
- Visit the TCDD press release on suspension of inter-city trains.
- Visit local resources for more information:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Turkey.
- U.S. Embassy (Ankara, Turkey)
110 Ataturk Boulevard
- U.S. Consulate General (Istanbul, Turkey)
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer- Istanbul / Turkey
- U.S. Consulate (Adana, Turkey)
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana – TÜRKİYE
- U.S. Consular Agency (Izmir, Turkey)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
Turkey’s Country Page
Turkey’s Travel Advisory