April 10, 2020
Event: Message to U.S. citizens – Update on COVID-19 and Related Restrictions
- On April 8, the Turkish Minister of Health confirmed a total of 42,282 COVID-19 cases, 908 related deaths, and 1,552 patients in intensive care.
- International flights from Istanbul are still available on Belavia Airways. The flights are through Minsk, Belarus and passengers must use a travel agency to book travel to ensure onwards connections through Europe and then to the United States. In addition, it is reported that most restaurants in the international airports are closed, please be prepared to bring food with you for the length of your travel. We understand that these flights are getting more expensive, and expect commercial prices to continue to rise. Previously available commercial flight options are no longer operating and we cannot guarantee the future availability of flights to the United States. If you are considering returning to the U.S., we strongly urge you to book a commercial flight now.
- If you are a U.S. citizen trying to get home, we want to know. Please contact our consular team at the email addresses at the bottom of this page and provide a local phone number.
Actions to Take:
- If you have previously purchased tickets, we recommend that you reconfirm with the airlines that the flight is operational and verify the transit country’s entry requirements prior to your departure.
- If you are traveling by road to reach an airport in a different province, please contact the district governor’s office to obtain permission to travel by land for your international departure. In addition, inform us by filling out this form with your name, date of birth, passport number, current location, mobile phone number and flight information (number, date, time), so we can track your request.
- Carry identity and travel documents with you at all times.
- Seek travel permission from your governor’s office for inter-city travel to Istanbul for immediate departure from Turkey. Notify the Embassy on the form referenced above so we can doubletrack the process.
- Comply with local authorities at check points and clearly state your intention to seek immediate departure from Turkey.
- Visit the Turkish General Directorate of Civil Aviation for up to date information on Turkey’s international flights.
- Visit the Turkish Airlines Coronavirus webpage for information on Suspended flights, Travel restrictions, Zero change fee, Flexible change, Online transactions, and their Announcements
- Visit the TCDD press release on suspension of inter-city trains.
- Visit local resources for more information:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Turkey.
- U.S. Embassy (Ankara, Turkey)
110 Ataturk Boulevard
- U.S. Consulate General (Istanbul, Turkey)
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer- Istanbul / Turkey
- U.S. Consulate (Adana, Turkey)
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana – TÜRKİYE
- U.S. Consular Agency (Izmir, Turkey)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
Turkey’s Country Page
Turkey’s Travel Advisory