April 15, 2020
Event: Message to U.S. citizens – Update on COVID-19 and Related Restrictions
- On April 14, Turkish Airlines announced that they have suspended all international flights until May 20, 2020 due to COVID-19. All Turkish Airlines domestic flights are suspended until May 1, 2020.
- British Airways has scheduled a flight from Istanbul to London, BA 677 IST-LHR, on Friday, April 17 at 17:35. There are onward connections to United States. U.S. citizens may transit London but please read additional details here: https://uk.usembassy.gov/covid-19-coronavirus-information. We understand you can book directly with the airline online or via mobile app.
- Belavia Airways has scheduled a flight from Istanbul to Minsk, B2 784 IST-MSQ, on Friday, April 17 at 4:15 am, which will allow onward travel to the United States without requiring an overnight stay in Minsk. Passengers should use a travel agency to book connecting flights through Europe and to the United States. Travel agents available to book these flights include:
- Alabanda – www.alabanda.com.tr, +90 312 440 56 00; firstname.lastname@example.org
- BTO Bilimtur – www.btotravel.com, +90 312 468 75 80, email@example.com
- Midillis Travel and Tourism – www.midillis.com, +90 (212) 458 08 00, firstname.lastname@example.org
- You can also call Belavia directly at +375 17 220 2555 to reserve a seat.
- We cannot guarantee the future availability of these flight options. If you are not prepared to remain in Turkey for the foreseeable future, we urge you to book commercial travel now.
- If you are a U.S. citizen trying to get home, we want to know. Please contact our consular team at the email addresses at the bottom of this page and provide a local phone number.
- On April 14, the Turkish Minister of Health confirmed a total of 65,111 COVID-19 cases, 1,403 related deaths, and 1,809 patients in intensive care.
Actions to Take:
- If you have previously purchased tickets, we recommend that you reconfirm with the airlines that the flight is operational and verify the transit country’s entry requirements prior to your departure.
- If you are traveling by road to reach an airport in a different province, please contact the local governor’s office to obtain permission to travel by land for your international departure. In addition, inform us by filling out this form with your name, date of birth, passport number, current location, and flight information (number, date, time). Please also include your mobile phone number. We will share your information with Turkish authorities in order to double track your request for transit to the airport.
- Carry identity and travel documents with you at all times.
- Comply with local authorities at check points and clearly state your intention to seek immediate departure from Turkey.
- Visit local resources for more information:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Turkey.
- U.S. Embassy (Ankara, Turkey)
110 Ataturk Boulevard
- U.S. Consulate General (Istanbul, Turkey)
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer- Istanbul / Turkey
- U.S. Consulate (Adana, Turkey)
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana – TÜRKİYE
- U.S. Consular Agency (Izmir, Turkey)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
Turkey’s Country Page
Turkey’s Travel Advisory
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
Follow the Embassy’s primary social media accounts: Twitter and Facebook