April 22, 2020
Event: Message to U.S. citizens – Update on COVID-19 and Related Restrictions
Curfew: Turkish authorities announced a four-day curfew from Thursday, April 23 (beginning midnight Wednesday) through Sunday April 26 (ending at midnight Sunday). The curfew covers 31 municipalities and provinces. Markets, bakeries, and grocery stores will remain open with limited hours on April 23 and 24, and customers are permitted to buy essentials within walking distance in their neighborhoods or have them delivered. Motor vehicle use during the curfew is not permitted except for those with disabilities. Essential services including hospitals, pharmacies and airports will remain open. For specific details, please see: https://www.icisleri.gov.tr/30-buyuksehir-ve-zonguldak-ilinde-23-24-25-26-nisan-tarihlerinde-uygulanacak-sokaga-cikma-kisitlamasi
Direct flights to the United States: Booking is still available for three direct Turkish Airlines flights to the U.S. this week, listed below. These flights are commercially operated and are NOT U.S. government operated flights. Any questions related to the flights (seat preference, luggage, ability to take pets) should be directed to Turkish Airlines. If you intend to take one of these flights, book your tickets now from the Turkish Airlines website or call center (444 0 849 | 0850 333 0 849). If you also complete this form we will flag your intention to purchase a ticket to both Turkish Airlines and Turkish authorities. IF YOU DO NOT BOOK YOUR TICKET TODAY, YOU WILL BE UNABLE TO OBTAIN A TRAVEL PERMIT ONCE THE CURFEW BEGINS.
Travel permits: IF YOU ARE IN ISTANBUL, YOU DO NOT NEED A TRAVEL PERMIT. If you are outside of Istanbul, you need a travel permit to get there. The Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs has confirmed that foreign travelers with locally issued travel permits in hand can travel through provinces in order to depart Turkey from Istanbul on Thursday and Friday during the curfew. You must obtain your travel permit from Turkish authorities prior to Wednesday, April 22, 11:59 PM. Please also fill out this form so the Embassy may support your travel permit request. Turkish Airlines strongly urges travelers to arrive in Istanbul before the curfew begins, if possible.
Transit to Istanbul airport during curfew: Turkish Airlines informs passengers that the Istanbul Airport Taxi Coop (Phone: +90 850 780 7734 or +90 533 315 7133) and the HAVAIST bus service (https://hava.ist/en) will be able to provide local transit to the airport from Istanbul during the curfew. Travelers must arrive at the airport at least four hours before their scheduled flight time, and should review all information on the Turkish Airlines website here: https://www.turkishairlines.com/en-us/announcements/evacuation-flights-during-curfew/.
DIRECT FLIGHTS TO THE UNITED STATES
Thursday, April 23, 2020
Flight TK 4940 Istanbul (IST) – Los Angeles (LAX)
Flight TK 4030 Istanbul (IST) – New York (JFK)
Friday, April 24, 2020
Flight TK 4906 Istanbul (IST) – Washington D.C. (IAD)
Actions to Take:
- If you are traveling by road to reach an airport in a different province, please contact the local governor’s office to obtain permission to travel by land for your international departure. In addition, inform us by filling out this form with your name, date of birth, passport number, current location, and flight information (number, date, time). Please also include your mobile phone number. We will share your information with Turkish authorities in order to double-track your request for transit to the airport.
- Carry identity and travel documents with you at all times.
- Comply with local authorities at check points and clearly state your intention to seek immediate departure from Turkey.
- Visit local resources for more information:
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Turkey.
- U.S. Embassy (Ankara, Turkey)
110 Ataturk Boulevard
- U.S. Consulate General (Istanbul, Turkey)
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer- Istanbul / Turkey
- U.S. Consulate (Adana, Turkey)
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana – TÜRKİYE
- U.S. Consular Agency (Izmir, Turkey)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
Turkey’s Country Page
Turkey’s Travel Advisory