March 20, 2020
Event: Additional COVID-19 Measures
The government of Turkey has implemented enhanced screening and quarantine measures to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Travelers should be prepared for travel restrictions to be put into effect with little or no advance notice.U.S. citizens who are considering returning to the United States are urged to work with their airlines to make travel arrangements while flights are still available.
On March 18, Turkey halted passenger crossings at land and sea borders with Greece and Bulgaria.
On March 19, the Government of Turkey added all archaeological sites and museums to its list of closed institutions.
For a complete list of closures, as well as countries from which Turkey has banned entry and for which Turkey requires quarantine measures, see Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for more information.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 3 COVID-19 Outbreak Notice for Europe which will affect transit travelers from Turkey to the United States. For more information, visit the Department of State’s Frequently Asked Questions page for travelers in Europe.
Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Turkey.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest information regarding travel to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy (Ankara, Turkey)
110 Ataturk Boulevard
- U.S. Consulate General (Istanbul, Turkey)
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer- Istanbul / Turkey
- U.S. Consulate (Adana, Turkey)
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana – TÜRKİYE
- U.S. Consular Agency (Izmir, Turkey)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444