March 17, 2020
Event: Effective March 18, U.S. Embassy Ankara, U.S. Consulate Istanbul, U.S. Consulate Adana, and U.S. Consular Agency Izmir have suspended routine consular services. American Citizens Services including passport and Consular Report of Birth Abroad issuance continue to be available in Ankara and Istanbul. Please visit our websites for additional information.
The government of Turkey has implemented measures to limit the spread of COVID-19. On March 16 the Turkish government closed all primary, middle and high schools (public and private); these schools will begin online/distance learning the week of March 23. All universities are closed for three weeks, currently scheduled to reopen on April 6. Additionally, on March 17 the Turkish government announced the closure of theatres, cinemas, performance centers, concert halls, wedding/engagement halls, restaurants and cafes with music and entertainment, pubs, taverns, bars, nightclubs, coffee houses, hookah cafes, internet cafes, recreation centers, indoor playgrounds and children’s play areas (including those in shopping malls and restaurants), tea houses, swimming pools, Turkish baths, saunas, spas, massage halls, and sport and fitness gyms. Visit the local government COVID-19 website for updated information.
Many travelers in Turkey have reported unexpected flight cancellations and limited flight availability.
If your travel has been disrupted, please work with your airline to rebook your travel.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 3 Health Advisory for COVID-19.
The Centers for Disease Control (CDC) has issued a Level 2 Global COVID-19 Outbreak Notice
Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19 please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines or cruise lines regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Turkey.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest information regarding travel to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy (Ankara, Turkey)
110 Ataturk Boulevard
- U.S. Consulate General (Istanbul, Turkey)
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer- Istanbul / Turkey
- U.S. Consulate (Adana, Turkey)
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana – TÜRKİYE
- U.S. Consular Agency (Izmir, Turkey)
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444