December 1, 2020
The Government of Turkey has announced the following measures for all 81 provinces will go into effect at 9 p.m. (21:00), Tuesday, December 1, 2020:
- Weeknight curfew from 9 p.m. to 5 a.m. the following day, effective Monday through Friday.
- Weekend curfew from 9 p.m. on Friday continuing through 5 a.m. Monday.
- During the weekend curfew supermarkets, green grocers, bakeries, and butchers will be open from 10:00 until 17:00. With the exception of age groups 65 and over and 20 and under (who remain on more restricted curfews), individuals may shop for their essential needs at the closest store within walking distance (driving is not allowed).
- Production, manufacturing, supply chains, and health workers are exempt from the weekday and weekend curfews.
- Intercity travel during weekday and weekend curfews hours listed above, is only authorized under at least one of the following exigent or mandatory circumstances, for persons who:
- Have been discharged from hospital and are returning to their residence of origin.
- Have medical appointments referred by a doctor’s report.
- Need to attend the funeral of a deceased first-degree relative (i.e., father, mother, brother, sister, son, daughter) or to accompany the transfer of remains (maximum four people).
- Have come to a given city within the last five days but do not have a place to stay and want to return to their place of residence (must have valid travel ticket, vehicle license plate, or other documents showing their travel, and information).
- Will attend exams announced by Ministry of Education or other central exams.
- Have completed military service and are returning to their residence of origin.
- Are undertaking new private or public work opportunities.
- Have been released from penal institutions
(The full circular text with exceptions to the curfew can be found at https://www.icisleri.gov.tr/koronavirus-ile-mucadele-kapsaminda-sokaga-cikma-kisitlamalari—yeni-kisitlama-ve-tedbirler-genelgeleri)
Schools, Business Operations, Public Transportation Restrictions and Measures:
- All education/training activities for preschool and kindergarten are suspended.
- Dining establishments such as restaurants, patisseries, cafés, and cafeterias will be available for delivery services only.
- A HES code is required to enter shopping malls, and may be required for other buildings and complexes. Information on how to obtain a HES code can be found on our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 or by following this link at https://hayatevesigar.saglik.gov.tr/index-eng.html.
The Ministry of Interior’s circular text can be found at: https://www.icisleri.gov.tr/koronavirus-ile-mucadele-kapsaminda-sokaga-cikma-kisitlamalari—yeni-kisitlama-ve-tedbirler-genelgeleri
Further clarifications we receive on these restrictions will be updated on our Embassy webpage on COVID-19.
Actions to Take:
- Follow local restrictions.
- Follow social distancing public health recommendations.
- Check local regulations on wearing protective masks and use of HES codes.
- Carry identity and travel documents with you at all times.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Turkey.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
U.S. Consulate General (Istanbul, Turkey)
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer
U.S. Consulate (Adana, Turkey)
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana, Turkey
U.S. Consular Agency (Izmir, Turkey)