The Government of Türkiye has announced that an earthquake “Duck-Cover-Hold” drill will be held across the country on Saturday, November 12, 2022 at 18:57hrs. The exercise is intended to promote emergency preparedness and response, and the Government of Türkiye strongly recommends participation, especially for those present in high-risk environments such as apartment complexes, residential areas, workplaces, and shopping centers throughout Türkiye. Please follow all guidance provided by the Government of Türkiye during the drill.
In the event of an actual earthquake please take the following steps: When you begin to feel an earthquake, DUCK under a sturdy piece of furniture like a desk or table. Stay away from windows, bookcases, pictures and mirrors, hanging plants and other heavy objects that may fall. Be aware of falling materials such as plaster, ceiling tiles and bricks that may come loose during the quake. Stay under COVER until the shaking stops. HOLD on to the desk or table that you are under and if it moves, move with it.
- DUCK, COVER & HOLD TIPS – If you are not near a table or desk, move against an interior wall, and protect your head with your arms. Do not go into a doorway, the shaking can cause the door to swing forcibly shut.
- HIGH-RISE BUILDINGS – Do not use the elevators and don’t be surprised if the fire alarm and/or sprinkler systems come on.
- OUTDOORS – Move to a clear area away from trees, signs, power lines, buildings and poles.
- NEAR BUILDINGS – Be aware of falling bricks, glass, plaster and other debris. Duck into an entryway and protect your head with your arms.
- DRIVING – Pull to the side of the road and stop. Avoid overpasses, power lines, and other hazards. Stay inside the vehicle until the shaking is over.
- STORE OR OTHER PUBLIC PLACE – Do not rush for the exit. Move away from shelves and displays that may fall over or contain objects that could fall, then duck, cover and hold.
- WHEELCHAIR – If you are in a wheelchair, stay in it. Move to cover, if possible (i.e., an interior wall), lock your wheels, and protect your head with your arms.
- KITCHEN – Move away from the refrigerator, stove and overhead cupboards, then duck, cover and hold. [Now would be a good time to anchor appliances and install security latches on cupboards to reduce hazards.]
- THEATER OR STADIUM – If possible get on the floor between the rows and cover your head with your arms, otherwise stay in your seat and protect your head with your arms. Do not try to leave until the shaking stops, then leave in a calm, orderly manner.
U.S. Consulate General Istanbul
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer, Istanbul, Türkiye
U.S. Consulate Adana
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana – TÜRKİYE
U.S. Consular Agency Izmir
State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444