As of October 1, 2017, only U.S. Embassies and Consulates with dedicated Federal Benefits Units are permitted to assist with most Social Security Administration matters. Here in Mission Turkey, we do not have such an office. Therefore, if you reside in Turkey and have questions regarding Social Security Administration (SSA) services, you must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located at the U.S. Embassy in Athens, Greece. We are unfortunately unable to contact the FBU on your behalf.
The Federal Benefits Unit in Athens can assist with:
- Social Security Number (SSN) applications
- Applications for benefits, spouse benefits, survivors benefits, or child benefits
- Change of address
- Representative payee applications
- International Direct Deposit (IDD) applications
- Lost checks, suspended benefits
If you need assistance from FBU Athens, please visit their webpage at https://gr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/and review the Frequently Asked Questions located on that site. In order to contact FBU Athens, you can:
- Fill out an inquiry form at https://gr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/social-security/fbu-inquiry-form/.
- Call the FBU at +30-210-720-2426 from 9:30 to 11:30 on: Monday, Tuesday, Thursday or Friday (except Greek and American Holidays); or the last Wednesday of the month.
- Fax +30-210-729-0509 or +30-210-646-9885.
- Mail correspondence to: Federal Benefits Unit, American Embassy, Vas Sofias 91, 10160 Athens. (FBU will do its best to respond within 2 weeks of receipt.)
For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s “Service Around the World” webpage at https://www.ssa.gov/foreign/#_blank
Note: If you are already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, the Europe Travel Alert, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is+90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No. 75, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.