February 6, 2023
Event: This morning a large 7.8 earthquake occurred in the Turkish Southeast, near Gaziantep, affecting several provinces and the broader Central Mediterranean region. Large aftershocks continue and are likely through the coming days. U.S. Citizens should avoid travel to areas affected by the earthquake and, if already there, we advise not to enter damaged buildings until Turkish authorities deem them safe. The U.S. government is deferring all non-essential travel to U.S. Consulate Adana’s district – Adana, Adiyaman, Batman, Bingol, Bitlis, Diyarbakir, Elazig, Gaziantep, Hakkari, Hatay, Kahramanmaras, Kilis, Malayta, Mardin, Mersin, Mus, Osmaniye, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Siirt, Tunceli, and Van. Please note that there are reports of extensive damage to infrastructure including roads in these provinces.
Additionally, heavy snow and poor weather conditions in the northwestern region of Türkiye are causing large numbers of flight cancelations, school closures, and service delays. U.S. citizens should monitor the Mission Türkiye website (https://tr.usembassy.gov/) for any disruptions in the coming days to routine consular public service hours. Those flying to/from the Istanbul International Airport should monitor flight status and stay in touch with airlines. Contact numbers for the airport and airlines can be found on the Istanbul Airport website (https://www.istairport.com/en?locale=en).
Actions to Take
- Individuals in need of shelter or other assistance should check the following websites for local resources: U.S. Citizens in Türkiye in need of immediate, emergency assistance should call Turkish authorities using the phone number 112.
- All other inquiries regarding U.S. citizens impacted by the earthquake should be directed to U.S. Embassy Ankara at Ankara-ACS@state.gov.
- In the event of an earthquake or aftershock, take the following steps:
- When you begin to feel an earthquake, DUCK under a sturdy piece of furniture like a desk or table. Stay away from windows, bookcases, pictures and mirrors, hanging plants and other heavy objects that may fall. Be aware of falling materials such as plaster, ceiling tiles and bricks that may come loose during the quake. Stay under COVER until the shaking stops. HOLD on to the desk or table that you are under and if it moves, move with it.
- DUCK, COVER, & HOLD TIPS
- If you are not near a table or desk, move against an interior wall and protect your head with your arms. Do not go into a doorway, the shaking can cause the door to swing forcibly shut.
- HIGH-RISE BUILDINGS – Do not use the elevators and don’t be surprised if the fire alarm and/or sprinkler systems come on.
- OUTDOORS – Move to a clear area away from trees, signs, power lines, buildings, and poles.
- NEAR BUILDINGS – Be aware of falling bricks, glass, plaster, and other debris. Duck into an entryway and protect your head with your arms.
- DRIVING – Pull to the side of the road and stop. Avoid overpasses, power lines, and other hazards. Stay inside the vehicle until the shaking is over.
- STORE OR OTHER PUBLIC PLACE – Do not rush for the exit. Move away from shelves and displays that may fall over or contain objects that could fall, then duck, cover, and hold.
- WHEELCHAIR – If you are in a wheelchair, stay in it. Move to cover, if possible (i.e., an interior wall), lock your wheels, and protect your head with your arms.
- KITCHEN – Move away from the refrigerator, stove, and overhead cupboards, then duck, cover, and hold.
- THEATER OR STADIUM – If possible, get on the floor between the rows and cover your head with your arms, otherwise stay in your seat and protect your head with your arms. Do not try to leave until the shaking stops, then leave in a calm, orderly manner.
- U.S. citizens can download the Government of Türkiye’s Disaster Management Agency (AFAD) “Acil Cagri” application for iOS and Android or call the numbers below:
- AFAD Ankara: 0 (312) 258 23 23;
- AFAD Batman: 0488 213 91 33;
- AFAD Hatay: 03261120000;
- AFAD Kahramanmaraş: 03442214991;
- AFAD Gaziantep: 03424281118;
- AFAD Adana: 03222272854;
- AFAD Adıyaman: 04162161231;
- AFAD Sanliurfa: 04143137290;
- AFAD Diyarbakır: 0412 326 1156;
- AFAD Osmaniye: 0328 826 2002.
U.S. Consulate General (Istanbul, Türkiye)
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer
U.S. Consulate (Adana, Türkiye)
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana, Türkiye
U.S. Consular Agency (Izmir, Türkiye)
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
+1 (202) 501-4444 (from overseas) or +1 (888) 407-4747 (from the United States)