On February 6, magnitude 7.8 and magnitude 7.5 earthquakes struck central southern Türkiye, close to the Syrian border, followed by dozens of violent aftershocks. The earthquakes have resulted in thousands of deaths in Türkiye and Syria and affected hundreds of thousands of people.
- Ambassador Flake’s remarks in Hatay
Ambassador Flake: Last year my wife and I were able to come here to Hatay and visit the good people here, so it was really heartbreaking for us to see what happened here and the devastation that this earthquake brought. Not just one earthquake, but several since, making it difficult for people to get back into their structures.
- U.S. Department of Defense completes ‘Turn-key’ Hospital
U.S. Naval Forces Europe, in coordination with the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) facilitated the construction of the field hospital at the request of the government of Türkiye
- U.S. Department of Defense delivers Emergency Field Hospital to Türkiye
As part of its commitment to assist those affected by the earthquakes, the United States delivered an emergency field hospital to Incirlik Air Base in Turkey on February 22, 2023.
- Secretary Blinken’s Meeting with Turkish President Erdogan
Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken met with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Türkiye today in Ankara. Secretary Blinken reaffirmed the United States’ commitment to provide needed assistance to our NATO Ally Türkiye and extended condolences to all those who were impacted by the earthquakes.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken With Deniz Kilislioglu of NTV
Secretary Blinken: Well, thank you, and first let me say this: Our hearts, but also our hands, are with Türkiye in this moment.
- Secretary Blinken And Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu At a Joint Press Availabilty
Secretary Blinken: This has been an important opportunity to visit our Turkish allies and friends in a moment of real need, and to bring a clear message from President Biden and from the American people: The United States is here to support you in your time of need, and we will be by your side for as long as it takes to recover and to rebuild.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken Remarks to the Press
Secretary Blinken: We are here to stand with the people of Türkiye and Syria in the wake of this devastating earthquake.
- Secretary Antony J. Blinken Remarks to USAID Urban Search and Rescue Team
Secretary Blinken: Well, listen, I really wanted to just come by to say thank you, thank you, thank you for your extraordinary efforts and everything you do to answer the call, almost on a moment’s notice.
- The United States and Türkiye: A Key NATO Ally and Critical Regional Partner
A Key NATO Ally and Critical Regional Partner Türkiye and the United States are North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) Allies and longstanding partners.
- United States Announces Additional Earthquake Relief for the People of Türkiye and Syria
Today the United States is announcing an additional $100 million in assistance in response to the devastating earthquake in Türkiye and Syria.
- The United States Provides Urgent Relief Supplies to Support Earthquake Affected Communities in Türk
The U.S., through the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID), is airlifting more than $2.5 million worth of emergency relief supplies to the people of Türkiye following the devastating February 6 earthquakes.
- People across U.S. rush to aid Türkiye, Syria
The supplies are headed to survivors of the 7.8 magnitude earthquake that hit southeastern Türkiye and northern Syria on February 6.
- Responding to the Earthquakes in Türkiye and Syria
On February 6, 2023, a magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck central southern Türkiye, close to the Syrian border, followed by dozens of violent aftershocks.
- Updates from Ned Price, Department Spokesperson on the Southeast Earthquakes
Spokesperson Price: As we continue to see the death toll rise, I want to again offer our severe – or sincere condolences to the people of Türkiye and Syria. The images of this tragedy are profound, and we are working to assist those in need day-in and day-out. This earthquake has affected not only Syria and Türkiye but also the world as we see the devastation and loss of human lives it has wrought.
- Secretary Blinken’s Call with Turkish Foreign Minister Cavusoglu
Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken spoke today with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlut Cavusoglu to express our continued support for Türkiye and the Turkish people in the wake of devastating earthquakes.
- Responding to the Earthquakes in Türkiye and Syria
On February 8, two U.S. Agency for International Development Urban Search and Rescue teams arrived in Incirlik to help with rescue and recovery efforts after the devastating earthquakes in Türkiye. U.S. Ambassador to Türkiye Jeff Flake and Mrs. Flake greeted the teams and thanked them for providing urgent support to our NATO Ally.
- Statement by Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield on the Earthquakes in Türkiye and Syria
Ambassador Linda Thomas-Greenfield: I am deeply saddened by the loss of life and devastating humanitarian toll caused by the earthquakes impacting Türkiye and Syria.
- Statement by USAID Administrator Samantha Power
- Secretary Blinken’s Call with Turkish Foreign Minister Çavuşoğlu
Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken spoke today with Turkish Foreign Minister Mevlüt Çavuşoğlu to express condolences for the terrible loss of life from today’s earthquakes.
- Readout of President Biden Jr.’s Call with President Erdogan of Türkiye
President Joseph R. Biden spoke this afternoon with President Recep Tayyip Erdogan of Türkiye. He reaffirmed the readiness of the United States to provide any and all needed assistance to our NATO Ally Türkiye in response to this tragedy. President Biden expressed condolences on behalf of the American people to those who were injured or lost loved ones in the earthquakes.
- Statement from Secretary of State Antony J. Blinken on the Earthquake in Turkiye and Syria
The United States is profoundly concerned by the reports of today’s destructive earthquake in Turkiye and Syria. We stand ready to provide any and all needed assistance.
- Statement from National Security Advisor Jake Sullivan on the Earthquake in Turkiye and Syria
The United States is profoundly concerned by the reports of today’s destructive earthquake in Turkiye and Syria.
- Statement from President Joe Biden on the Earthquakes Impacting Turkiye and Syria
President Biden: Jill and I were deeply saddened by the news of the devastating earthquakes that have thus far claimed thousands of lives in Turkiye and Syria