Renew if All of the Following are True:
(By mail or in person)
Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:
- is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
- was issued when you were age 16 or older
- was issued within the last 15 years
- was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change
If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must apply in person.
How Long Does it Take?
- Once we have everything we need, processing time is normally about 2-3 weeks.
- All passport are returned via UPS. UPS charges a fee for the service on delivery.
Step 1: Application Requirements
- Your most recent U.S. passport and a copy. This passport will be cancelled and returned to you with your new passport.
- Fill out and print your application form using the online Passport Wizard. The Passport Wizard will automatically direct you to the appropriate application form. When the Passport Wizard directs you to the “Next Steps” page, simply click “Create Form” at the bottom and print out the form it generates. SIGN YOUR APPLICATION FORM.
- One passport photograph. Photographs that do not meet the specified requirements will be rejected. You must remove glasses for their passport photo, except in rare, medically-documented circumstances.
- Name change documentation. If you have changed your name since your last passport was issued, legal name change documentation, such as your original marriage certificate or other legal document and a copy are required.
- You must sign the application form.
- You must provide your Social Security Number (SSN) in accordance with 26 U.S.C. 6039E. Failure to provide information requested on the form, including your SSN, may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your application.
- If you have never been issued an SSN, enter 000-00-0000 on the application form and fill out the following statement: SSN Statement: SSN Never Issued (PDF 89KB). You will need to apply for an SSN when you receive your new passport.
Step 2: Application Fee
The passport application fee is U.S. $110. The passport card application fee is U.S. $30. Expedited services are not available in Turkey. Please do not include expedited service fee in your check.
- If you want to apply at the Embassy or Consulates in person, you can make the payment in cash (U.S. dollars or Turkish lira equivalent) or with major U.S. and Turkish credit cards (the charge must be in U.S. dollars). We do not accept personal checks or debit cards.
- For mail-in applications, you must pay with a cashier’s check – bloke döviz çeki or yurtiçi döviz çeki* – issued by Garanti Bank (only the main city branches will be able to provide cashier’s checks in U.S. dollars). Cashier’s checks are valid for ten days and should be received at the Embassy or Consulate at least three days before the expiration date. If the local bank branch has a problem issuing a cashier’s check ask them to contact their Ankara office for directions on how to proceed. If the problem persists, please contact the Embassy or the Consulate. If you are mailing your application to Ankara, the check should be addressed to “U.S. Embassy.” The bank issuing the check may charge additional fees. Cash, personal checks, or Turkish Lira is NOT accepted for mail-in applications.
If the Garanti Bank you are using is not familiar with the cashier check process, please have the representative get in touch with the Garanti Kavaklidere Ankara Branch at 0312-457-6700.
Step 3: Method of Application
You can mail-in your application to Ankara or Istanbul depending on where you reside*. The U.S. Consulate in Adana and the Izmir Consular Agency does not accept mail-in applications. You need to make an appointment with them.
Ankara mail-in applications should be sent to:
U.S. Embassy Ankara
Ataturk Blv No: 110
Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara
Istanbul mail-in applications should be sent to:
U.S. Consulate General Istanbul
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi, No: 75
Istinye, 34460 Istanbul
* Ankara district: Afyon, Agri, Aksaray, Amasya, Ankara, Antalya, Ardahan, Artvin, Aydin, Bartin, Bayburt, Burdur, Cankiri, Corum, Denizli, Erzincan, Erzurum, Eskisehir, Giresun, Gumushane, Igdir, Isparta, Izmir, Karabuk, Karaman, Kars, Kastamonu, Kayseri, Kirikkale, Kirsehir, Konya, Kutahya, Manisa, Mugla, Nevsehir, Nigde, Ordu, Rize, Samsun, Sinop, Sivas, Tokat, Trabzon, Usak, Yozgat and Zonguldak.
Istanbul district: Balikesir, Bilecik, Bolu, Bursa, Canakkale, Düzce, Edirne, Istanbul, Kirklareli, Kocaeli, Sakarya, Tekirdag, and Yalova.
Adana district: You can mail your application to Ankara, if you live in Adana district: Adana, Adiyaman, Batman, Bingol, Bitlis, Diyarbakir, Elazig, Gaziantep, Hakkari, Hatay, Icel, Kahramanmaras, Kilis, Malatya, Mardin, Mus, Osmaniye, Siirt, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Tunceli, and Van.
If you want to apply in-person at the U.S. Embassy or Consulate, please schedule an online appointment.
- To apply in Ankara, Istanbul or Adana please schedule an online passport appointment by clicking here.