Location: Turkey, Romania, Bulgaria, Ukraine, Black Sea, Azov Sea
Event: Drifting Mines in the Black Sea
There are confirmed reports of an undetermined number of drifting mines in the western Black Sea, at least four of which Turkish and Romanian authorities have intercepted. Drifting mines pose a hazard to commercial and passenger vessels.
The State Department recommends U.S. citizens traveling by sea review the advisories from the NATO Shipping Centre and the U.S. Maritime Advisory System regarding the risk of collateral damage in the northwestern, western, and southwest Black Sea and the Sea of Azov.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise caution when considering travel by ship in the Black Sea region.
- If you have questions or concerns about an upcoming trip, check with your cruise/ferry line, tour group, or travel provider for updates.
- Monitor local media for updates. The Turkish Office of Navigation, Hydrography and Oceanography (shodb.gov.tr) publishes Turkey-specific NAVTEX messages that are available in both Turkish and English. These messages are also portrayed daily on a map on the same website. Individuals can also subscribe for weekly updates by emailing: email@example.com.
- Be aware of your surroundings and monitor navigational alert sources (NAVTEX or SafetyNET) for the most up-to-date information.
- Mariners planning travel to the region should also check S. maritime advisories and alerts. Information may also be posted to the U.S. Coast Guard homeport website, and the NGA broadcast warnings website – select “broadcast warnings.”
- For emergency response in Turkey, call 112.
U.S. Consulate General Istanbul
Poligon Mahallesi, Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
İstinye 34460 Sariyer- Istanbul / Turkey
U.S. Consulate Adana
Girne Bulvari No:212 Guzelevler Mah.
Yuregir, Adana – TÜRKİYE
U.S. Consular Agency Izmir
State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444
Turkey’s Country Page
Turkey’s Travel Advisory
Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts
Follow our main U.S. Embassy social media accounts: Twitter and Facebook.