Location: Throughout Turkey
Event: Turkey celebrates International Workers’ Day (Labor Day) on May 1, 2018. Historically, political parties, labor unions, and other non-governmental organizations stage large rallies and marches in public squares and other places throughout the country to mark the national holiday.
U.S. citizens should expect:
- increased police presence in traditional gathering places in large cities.
- reduced or cancelled public transit services in Istanbul and other cities.
Actions to Take:
- Avoid demonstration areas.
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- For emergency response in Turkey, call 112.
- Keep a low profile.
- U.S. Embassy, Ankara
- U.S. Consulate General, Istanbul
- U.S. Consulate, Adana
- U.S. Consular Agency, Izmir
- State Department – Consular Affairs
1-888-407-4747 or 1-202-501-4444