U.S. Embassy Ankara informs U.S. citizens that demonstrations are expected to take place at Tandogan Square, near the Tandogan metro station, starting at 12:00 on Thursday, October 29. The Nation Party (Vatan Partisi) in Ankara will be demonstrating with the stated purpose of protesting against terrorism. We anticipate large crowds to attend.
Also, a ceremony is expected to take place at the new Presidential Palace between 10:00 and 19:30 on Thursday, October 29, 2015. We anticipate large crowds and partial road closures will begin at 8:30 from Sogutozu Street.
Further known road closures on October 29 include:
- Streets near Anitkabir (Ataturk’s Mausoleum) including Genclik Street, Tandogan Intersection, and Akdeniz Steet will be closed starting from 07:30 for a short period.
- Streets near Anka Mall including Hippodrome Street, Istanbul Road, Yenimahalle Bridge, Turgut Ozal Blv, and Kazim Karabekir Street will be closed from 8:00 to 13:00.
Additionally, a rally is expected to take place in the Sincan District of Ankara at 14:00 on Saturday, October 31, 2015. AK Party leader, Prime Minister Davutoglu will be hosting an election rally. We anticipate a large gathering.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.