U.S. Embassy Ankara informs U.S. citizens that there are reports of several planned demonstrations in Antalya coinciding with the G20. We anticipate large crowds to attend.
Protests are expected to concentrate in the city’s center including Cumhuriyet Square, Metropolitan Municipality, Aydin Kanza Park, and Dikilli Village Square in Belek area, an area located 5 km. from the Summit venue. Security personnel have increased security measures in this area.
-Turkey Youth Union (TGB) is organizing a demonstration in Antalya on November 15 with the participation of universities and high schools across Turkey, and will gather in front of the Antalya metropolitan municipality at 13.00 on November 15.
-The Labor and Democracy Forces (Emek ve Demokrasi Gucleri), consisting of unions linked with DISK (Revolutionary Workers Unions Confederation), KESK (Public Laborers Unions Confederation) and TMMOB (Union of Chambers of Turkish Engineers and Architects), certain professional chambers, political parties and democratic civic movements, will carry out a protest march from Aydin Kanza Park in Antalya city center to Cumhuriyet Square on November 15.
-Four members of the People’s House and the Students’ Collective (Halkevleri ve Ogrenci Kolektifi) will walk towards Belek on Nov. 15. to present a letter.
-Greenpeace may also carry out a demonstration in Antalya.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.