The U.S. Embassy in Ankara reminds U.S. citizens of the continued risk of terrorist attacks in Turkey, based on repeated threats by terror groups. As we approach the end of 2015, the U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens of ourWorldwide Travel Alert that urges travelers to exercise particular caution during the holiday season. Be aware of immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds or crowded places, especially where Westerners are known to frequent.
All U.S. visitors or residents in Turkey should be aware of their local security situation, and take appropriate steps to bolster their personal security. There is a continuing threat in Turkey from persons planning attacks inspired by major terrorist organizations but conducted on an individual basis.
U.S. citizens are encouraged to monitor media and local information sources and factor updated information into personal travel plans and activities. Specific safety concerns should be addressed to Turkish law enforcement authorities who are responsible for the safety of all visitors to Turkey.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.