Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Adana Restricted Neighborhoods
The U.S. Consulate in Adana informs U.S. citizens that U.S. government employees are subject to travel restrictions in the following neighborhoods in Adana:
We strongly caution U.S. citizens to avoid those neighborhoods. The recent increase in tensions between Kurdish demonstrators and Turkish security forces has led to several incidents of protests and violence throughout southeast Turkey. Adana has also seen its share of incidents, including demonstrations that have resulted in conflicts between protestors and the Turkish National Police (TNP). The most recent terrorist attack in Adana occurred this week when two TNP officers were shot to death in a targeted attack near Ozel Guney Hastanesi in Daglioglu.
The areas identified above are volatile with high potential for violent and armed confrontations between TNP and Kurdish demonstrators.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
· See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
· Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
· Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
· Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).