The U.S. Mission to Turkey informs U.S. citizens that on Saturday, July 15, 2017, and the preceding days, government and non-government groups may stage large commemorations, such as rallies and marches in public squares and other places throughout the country to commemorate Democracy and Freedoms Day. The national holiday marks the anniversary of the July 2016 coup attempt.
Media sources state that the Parliament building and other government offices in Ankara, the July 15 Martyrs Bridge in Istanbul and other sites nationwide will host events. Turkish authorities have yet to release a comprehensive list of all events, including times or locations. U.S. citizens should monitor local news reports and avoid areas where gatherings might occur, which can happen with little advanced notice.
The U.S. Mission to Turkey urges U.S. citizens traveling or residing in Turkey to exercise caution and avoid demonstrations and large gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Due to the occurrence of the holiday on the weekend, the U.S. Mission to Turkey plans no changes to its public services. Nonetheless, the U.S. Mission to Turkey will inform the public if any commemorations during the week initiate a change which affects public services.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at Poligon Mahallesi, Sarıyer Caddesi, No:75, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.