U.S. Consulate Adana informs U.S. citizens that a demonstration is expected to take place at Atatürk Park at 17:30 on April 22, 2017. The Furkan Foundation will hold the demonstration and press statement in opposition to the cancellation of a religious program to celebrate Prophet Muhammed Week and holy nights. Authorities are expecting approximately 300-500 people as well as a robust police presence.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations.
For your safety:
• Avoid travel to southeastern Turkey, particularly large, urban centers near the Turkish/Syrian border.
• Stay away from large crowds, including at popular tourist destinations.
• Exercise heightened vigilance and caution when visiting public areas, especially those that tourists frequent.
• Stay away from political gatherings and rallies.
• Follow the instructions of local authorities in an emergency.
• Stay at hotels with identifiable security measures in place.
• Monitor local media.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program STEP to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555,8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
· Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
· Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).