U.S. Consulate General Istanbul informs U.S. citizens that the Turkish Communist Party (TKP) has called for a demonstration in the immediate vicinity of the U.S. Consulate General on April 8 at 12:00 p.m. to protest recent U.S. military air strikes in Syria.
Although expected to be peaceful, the U.S. Consulate General reminds U.S. citizens that demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and sometimes violent. We advise U.S. citizens to avoid large political gatherings, protests, and demonstrations and to exercise caution if you are in the vicinity, as these kinds of events can occur spontaneously with little or no warning.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, monitor local news stations for updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance and take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution,Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and help us locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook