The U.S. Consulate General would like to inform U.S. citizens that a demonstration is being organized outside U.S. Consulate General Istanbul this afternoon at approximately 3:00 p.m. Demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and sometimes violent. We advise U.S. citizens to avoid large political gatherings, protests, and demonstrations, and depart the area if you are in the vicinity of one.
Review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, including local events, monitor local news stations for information and updates. Maintain a high level of vigilance, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal security, and keep your loved ones aware of your welfare and whereabouts.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at Poligon Mahallesi, Sarıyer Caddesi, No:75, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook