The U.S. Consulate in Adana informs U.S. citizens that a group has announced a protest for Saturday, December 16, at 3 p.m. at the 5 Ocak Square, next to the Kemeralti Mosque in Adana. The group will later march towards Inonu Park, where the event is scheduled to end. U.S. citizens should avoid these areas during the protests.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. U.S. citizens should avoid areas of demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Review your personal security plans, ensure communication connectivity, remain aware of your surroundings, and follow local law enforcement safety recommendations and local media for additional information U.S. citizens should contact family members who may be concerned about their welfare or whereabouts.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, the Europe Travel Alert, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at Poligon Mahallesi, Sarıyer Caddesi, No:75, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.