The U.S. Consulate General informs U.S. citizens that, according to Turkish media reports and government sources, demonstrations are likely to take place on March 11th and/or 12th to mark the second anniversary of the death of Berkin Elvan, a 15-year-old boy who died as a result of Turkish National Police action during the 2013 Gezi Park protests. His death in 2014 and its first anniversary last year occasioned protests that turned violent. U.S. citizens should keep in mind that demonstrations can occur in any location and that Turkish security forces routinely respond in strength to unsanctioned demonstrations. We also encourage exercising heightened awareness when traveling to locations in Istanbul where protest activity frequently occurs: Istiklal Avenue in Galatasaray, Taskim Square, Gezi Park, Kadikoy and Yenikapi.
The U.S. Consulate General reminds U.S. citizens that demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational. We advise U.S. citizens to avoid large political gatherings, protests, and demonstrations and to exercise caution if you are in the vicinity.
We strongly encourage U.S. citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance, be aware of local events, and take the appropriate steps to bolster your personal security.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.