The U.S. Embassy in Ankara informs U.S. citizens that a large protest is expected to take place in the Kizilay area of Ankara on September 17, beginning around 4 pm. The Embassy recommends avoiding Kizilay during the afternoon and evening of September 17, as a security precaution.
Protestors will start at Sihhiye Square and then proceed to the Grand National Assembly of Turkey (TBMM). Although organizers have called on Turkish people from all backgrounds to reject terrorism, other groups seeking to cause a civil disturbance could potentially take the opportunity to cause further tension, unrest, or harm to civilians or Government of Turkey security personnel.
Police may find it necessary to use force to disperse or control crowds, including deploying tear gas, water cannons, or other crowd control methods. Demonstrations may also cause significant traffic disruptions, unannounced road closures, and police lines. If you see a demonstration developing, leave the area.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and possibly escalate into violence. U.S. citizens are therefore urged to avoid the areas of demonstrations if possible, and to exercise caution if within the vicinity of any demonstrations. Everyone should practice astute personal security awareness and remain vigilant at all times.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.