The U.S. Consulate General Istanbul informs U.S. citizens that this evening, June 25, demonstrators will gather in the vicinity of Taksim Square/Istiklal to celebrate LGBT Pride Week starting after 5pm. This year, gatherings to mark the occasion have not been permitted, and there may be a heavy police presence and counter demonstrations in or near the gathering places. U.S. citizens should monitor local news reports and avoid areas where gatherings might occur.
The U.S. Consulate General Istanbul reminds U.S. citizens that demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. Under the current state of emergency, participation in illegal gatherings, protests, and/or demonstrations can result in detention or arrest. We advise U.S. citizens to exercise caution if in the vicinity of a demonstration. Develop and review your personal security plans, remain aware of your surroundings, monitor local news stations for updates, and follow instructions from local authorities.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
* See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
* Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program STEP to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
* Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
* Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
* Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
* Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov
* Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).