Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Demonstrations May 28 & 29 in Ankara
May 27, 2016
U.S. Embassy Ankara informs U.S. citizens that demonstrations are expected to take place in the Kurtulus and Kolej districts of Ankara on Saturday, May 28 from 12:00 to 18:00. It has been reported that roads in these areas will be subject to closure. We anticipate the size of the demonstrations to be as many as 10,000 people.
In addition, a possible “anti-Islamic fanaticism” protest may take place at the Ahmet Taner Kışlalı Sports Hall across from Balgat on Sunday, May 29 from 15:00 to 18:00. We do not know the expected size of the protest.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Past demonstrations have occurred in the Kizilay and Swan Park (Tunali Hilmi Caddesi) areas.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.