U.S. Consulate General Istanbul
December 12, 2016
The U.S. Consulate General would like to inform U.S. citizens that demonstrations in response to the recent bombings in Besiktas are planned throughout Istanbul on Monday evening, starting at 5:30 p.m. There will be a solidarity rally at Vodafone Arena in Besiktas and surrounding neighborhoods. Please note that similar demonstrations may occur spontaneously, with little or no warning, throughout the week in others parts of Istanbul and in surrounding areas.
The U.S. Consulate General reminds U.S. citizens that demonstrations and large events intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational. We advise U.S. citizens to avoid large political gatherings, protests, and demonstrations and to exercise caution if you are in the vicinity.
We strongly encourage U.S. citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance, be aware of local events, monitor local media for updates, and take the appropriate steps to bolster your personal security.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP)to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.
- Please note this distribution list does not accept replies.