U.S. Embassy Ankara informs U.S. citizens that the Marxist-Leninist group People’s Liberation Party (HKP) encourages its members to rally outside the U.S. Embassy on Saturday January 23 around 2:00 PM to protest the U.S. Vice President’s visit to Turkey. The Turkish National Police plan to provide coverage.
Separately, the Peoples’ Democratic Party (HDP), one of Turkey’s opposition political parties, will hold a party convention at the Ahmet Taner Kışlalı Sport Hall in Balgat on Sunday January 24, starting at 10 am. This location is in close proximity to the entrance of the Ankara Support Facility (717th Air Base Squadron) Balgat.
Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. You should avoid demonstrations, and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, demonstrations or rallies.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.