U.S. Consulate General Istanbul
Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Increased Security Presence in Sisli and Mediciyekoy Districts of Istanbul in Response to Potential Terrorist Threat
June 16, 2017
The U.S. Consulate General Istanbul would like to inform U.S. citizens of a heightened Turkish security presence in the Mecidiyekoy district of Istanbul, especially in the vicinity of Sisli Agaoglu Sokak, in response to a possible terrorist threat. At this time, the Consulate General does not have additional information regarding specifics about this threat, but U.S. citizens are reminded to refer to existing guidance in the Travel Warning of March 28 . Americans residing in the area should exercise heightened caution. U.S. citizens are reminded to be aware of their immediate surroundings and avoid large crowds or crowded places when possible, especially in locations where Westerners, tourists, and expatriates are known to frequent, including but not limited to restaurants, commercial centers, places of worship, and transportation hubs.
We strongly encourage U.S. citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance, ensure communication connectivity, be aware of local events, monitor local media for updates, keep your loved ones informed of your welfare and whereabouts, and take the appropriate steps to bolster your personal security.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
· See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution,Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
· Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and help us locate you in an emergency.
· Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
· Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
· Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
· Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
· Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).