The U.S. Mission to Turkey informs U.S. citizens that Turkey celebrates International Workers’ Day on May 1, 2017. Historically, political parties, labor unions and other non-governmental organizations stage large rallies and marches in public squares and other places throughout the country to mark the national holiday.
In the past, these gatherings have created security and traffic challenges in cities throughout the country as public transit services in Istanbul and other cities have been reduced or cancelled. This year, gatherings to mark the occasion may not be permitted, and there may be heavy police presence in traditional gathering places in large cities. U.S. citizens should monitor local news reports, avoid areas where gatherings might occur, and keep in mind that gatherings might occur with little advanced notice.
The U.S. Mission to Turkey urges U.S. citizens traveling or residing in Turkey to exercise caution and avoid demonstrations and large gatherings. Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence.
Due to the local holiday, the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, the U.S. Consulate in Adana, and the U.S. Consular Agent Office in Izmir will be closed for public services on May 1, 2017.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel websitefor the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitterand Facebook.