The U.S. Embassy in Ankara reminds U.S. citizens of the increased threat of terrorist attacks in Turkey. Travelers are urged to exercise utmost caution and vigilance, especially in crowded places. Actively avoid large crowds and heighten your personal security posture and awareness if you choose to visit popular tourist sites, shopping malls, shopping districts, and sports and entertainment venues.
Recent terrorist attacks have targeted Turkish government facilities and major tourist attractions. Monitoring Turkish media and local information sources – both prior to and during travel – should be part of personal travel plans and activities in Turkey. Register with the Smart Traveler program (see below) to receive up-to-date security messages.
Specific safety concerns should be addressed to Turkish law enforcement authorities who are responsible for the safety of all visitors to Turkey.
For further information regarding Turkey and travel:
- Review the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.