Security Message for U.S. Citizens: Security Update
July 16, 2016
As the situation in Turkey stabilizes, U.S. Embassy Ankara strongly encourages U.S. citizens to use extreme caution in leaving your residence or hotel to conduct essential errands or business. Due to the potential for pro-government rallies and the possibility of clashes, the U.S. Embassy advises to conduct such business during daylight hours.
U.S. citizens intending to travel by air to or from Istanbul or Ankara should be aware that Istanbul and Ankara airports have not yet returned to full operating capacity. Per the Federal Aviation Administration’s notice to airmen (NOTAM) dated July 15, 2016, U.S. airline carriers are prohibited from flying to or from Istanbul and Ankara airports. All airline carriers, regardless of country of registry, are prohibited from flying into the United States from Turkey either directly or via a third country. Please contact your airline for the latest flight information.
The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to avoid areas of demonstrations and exercise caution if in the vicinity of any large gatherings, protests, or demonstrations. Monitor media reports. The Mission will share further information as it becomes available.
We encourage you to closely monitor our Turkey Crisis Page for additional information.
To provide us with information about an injured or missing U.S. citizen who is in Turkey, you may:
- Visit Task Force Alert and select “2016 Turkey Unrest”
- Contact the Department of State at TurkeyEmergencyUSC@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. Monday through Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.