Security Message for U.S. Citizens: TGB Demonstrations Planned Across Turkey
August 29, 2016
- The U.S. Embassy in Ankara and Consulates in Istanbul and Adana inform U.S. citizens that the Turkish Youth Union (TGB) has planned a series of nationwide demonstrations to take place tomorrow, August 30th. Demonstrations are scheduled in the vicinity of central public areas such as Kizilay in Ankara, Taksim in Istanbul, and Ataturk Park in Adana, but the potential for other demonstrations to occur spontaneously in other locations and times with little or no warning persists.Even demonstrations intended to be peaceful can turn confrontational and escalate into violence. We advise U.S. citizens to avoid large political gatherings, protests, and demonstrations, monitor local media, and to exercise caution if you are in the vicinity of a demonstration.
We strongly encourage U.S. citizens to maintain a high level of vigilance, be aware of local events, and take the appropriate steps to bolster your personal security.
For further detailed information regarding Turkey and travel:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution,Turkey’s Travel Warning, Travel Alerts, and Turkey’s Country Specific Information.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security messages and help us locate you in an emergency.
- Contact the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, located at 110 Ataturk Boulevard, Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara, at +90-312-455-5555, 8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m., Monday through Friday. The after-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is +90-312-455-5555 or +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul).
- Contact the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, located at 2 Uçsehitler Sokagi, 34460, Istinye, Sariyer, at +90-212-335-9000.
- Contact the U.S. Consulate in Adana, located at 212 Girne Bulvari, Guzelevler Mahallesi, Yuregir, Adana at +90-322-455-4100.
- Contact the Consular Agency in Izmir at Izmir@state.gov.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook