U.S. Naval Forces Europe-Africa/U.S. 6th Fleet Public Affairs – November 7, 2017
The Arleigh Burke-class guided-missile destroyer USS Donald Cook (DDG 75) arrived in Aksaz, Turkey, Nov. 7, 2017, to participate in the Turkish-led maritime exercise Dogu Akdeniz 2017. The exercise is scheduled to take place Nov. 7-16, in the eastern Mediterranean Sea, and will include a P-8A Poseidon from Patrol Squadron (VP) 5.
Dogu Akdeniz is designed to improve combined combat capability, increase operational capacity, and strengthen relationships among NATO allies.
“We look forward to our participation in exercise Dogu Akdeniz 2017 as well as our visit to Aksaz, Turkey. The exercise will provide an excellent opportunity to improve combined combat capability, increase operational capacity and strengthen relationships among NATO allies.”
-Cmdr. Matthew J. Powel, commanding officer of Donald Cook
“Donald Cook is excited for the port visit to Askaz, Turkey, and exercise Dogu Azkeniz. We look forward to the opportunity to hone our maritime warfighting skills, increase our operations together and strength relationships with our Turkish allies.”
– Cmdr. Kelley Jones, executive officer of Donald Cook
- Participating nations include Bulgaria, Romania, Turkey, the United Kingdom and the United States, as well as Standing NATO Maritime Group 2.
- The exercise provides operational training for participating units in the areas of planning and conducting anti-surface, anti-subsurface, and anti-air warfare.
- Donald Cook, forward-deployed to Rota, Spain, is on a routine patrol conducting maritime security operations in support of U.S. allies and partners and U.S. national security interests in Europe.
- VP-5, based out of Jacksonville, Florida, is conducting operations from Naval Air Station Sigonella as part of a rotational deployment.
- U.S. 6th Fleet, headquartered in Naples, Italy, conducts the full spectrum of joint and naval operations, often in concert with allied and interagency partners, in order to advance U.S. national interests and security and stability in Europe and Africa.