If you are a U.S. citizen marrying in Turkey, you will first need an Ankara Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry (PDF 195 KB), Istanbul Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry (PDF 208 KB) or Adana Affidavit of Eligibility to Marry (PDF 369 KB) issued by the U.S. Embassy or Consulate.  All marriages in Turkey must be performed under the authority of the Turkish Civil Code to be legally recognized. Religious ceremonies are not legally recognized.  The U.S. Embassy or Consulates in Turkey do not perform marriages.

The U.S. Embassy Ankara  affidavits are accepted by authorities in the following Turkish provinces: Afyon, Agri, Aksaray, Amasya, Ankara, Antalya, Ardahan, Artvin, Aydin, Bartin, Bayburt, Burdur, Cankiri, Corum, Denizli, Erzincan, Erzurum, Eskisehir, Giresun, Gumushane, Igdir, Isparta, Izmir, Karabuk, Karaman, Kars, Kastamonu, Kayseri, Kirikkale, Kirsehir, Konya, Kutahya, Manisa, Mugla, Nevsehir, Nigde, Ordu, Rize, Samsun, Sinop, Sivas, Tokat, Trabzon, Usak, Yozgat and Zonguldak.

The U.S. Consulate General Istanbul  affidavits are accepted by authorities in the following Turkish provinces: Balikesir, Bilecik, Bolu, Bursa, Canakkale, Düzce, Edirne, Istanbul, Kirklareli, Kocaeli, Sakarya, Tekirdag, and Yalova.

The U.S. Consulate Adana  affidavits that are accepted by authorities in the following Turkish provinces: Adana, Adiyaman, Batman, Bingol, Bitlis, Diyarbakir, Elazig, Gaziantep, Hakkari, Hatay, Icel, Kahramanmaras, Kilis, Malatya, Mardin, Mus, Osmaniye, Siirt, Sanliurfa, Sirnak, Tunceli, and Van. 

Step 1: Fill out online and print out (BUT DO NOT SIGN) the affidavit of the Embassy or Consulate office according to the above list. Write each field exactly as it is in your passport, e.g. United States Department of State.
Step 2: Make an online notarial appointment to apply in Ankara, Istanbul or Adana depending on where you will be getting married.
Step 3: Come to your appointment to sign the affidavit in person.  Bring your valid U.S. passport. If you have been married previously, bring an original or a certified copy of your divorce decree. Pay the US $50 fee for notarizing the affidavit of eligibility in U.S. cash or a major credit card. You may pay by cash or credit card in dollars or the Turkish lira equivalent at the Embassy or Consulate.
Step 4: Take your notarized affidavit from the U.S. Embassy or Consulate and follow the instructions on where you should be taking the affidavit in Istanbul (instructions on the second page of the affidavit), Adana (instructions on the second page of the affidavit) and Ankara, (follow the instructions on this page).


  • Don’t sign the affidavit until you come to your appointment.
  • You can type in information like the country name etc., if it is not on the drop down menu of the affidavit form. The form will allow you to type in.
  • You can take the affidavit from the Embassy/Consulate on the same day of your appointment.

Individuals who wish to record their U.S. marriage in the vital statistics office (nüfüs dairesi) of Turkey should contact their local vital statistics office in Turkey to do so.  Normally the vital statistics office will request an apostille of the U.S. marriage.

For more information on the apostille process, visit the Department of State’s Apostille Requirements web page.   The U.S. Embassy or Consulates do not provide apostille services.