Obtaining Copies of Civil Records

  1. Divorce
  2. Marriage
  3. Birth
  4. Obtaining Copies of Civil Records

See the below information regarding obtaining various civil records.  The Embassy or Consulate does not maintain or issue vital records.

Consular Report of Birth Abroad
A Consular Report of Birth Abroad (CRBA, or Form FS-240) is a document that certifies a child acquired U.S. citizenship at birth. To learn how to replace or amend a CRBA, visit the State Department website.

Report of the Death of a U.S. Citizen Abroad
To obtain a copy of a Report of Death, visit the State Department website.

In the United States, birth, death or marriage certificates records are usually held by state, county or city governments.

See the Center for Disease Control and Prevention site, Where to Write for Vital Records, for a directory of vital records offices.

Local Birth Records: You may obtain a family registry (nüfus kayıt örneği) from the Family Registry Office (Nüfus Müdürlüğü).

Marriage documents: You may get a marriage registry document (evlilik kayıt örneği) from the Family Registry Office (Nüfus Müdürlüğü).

Divorce records: You may obtain a copy of a divorce decree from the court that finalized the divorce.

E-devlet: Türkiye operates an online electronic government portal with comprehensive information on government services and allows users to check a variety of public records including traffic fines, and tax, deed and criminal records.

U.S. Criminal Record Checks: (Note: The U.S. Embassy and Consulates in Türkiye do not issue criminal records checks or perform fingerprints for records checks. U.S. citizens may obtain fingerprint cards from their local police departments in the United States or at FBI.gov.  Local police authorities (Turkish Passport Police Department) in Türkiye may be able to provide fingerprinting services.)

Türkiye Criminal Record Checks: Contact the Provincial Security Directorate (İl Emniyet Müdürlüğü) or consult your e-devlet record.