Citizenship Services

What Service Do You Require?

If you are a U.S. citizen and the parent of a child born out of the United States, you can document your child’s U.S. citizenship with a Consular Report of Birth Abroad. Please follow this link to see if you can transmit the U.S. citizenship through U.S. Citizen Services. More information can be found on the U.S. State Department’s website.


If you are over the age of 18, were born to a U.S. citizen parent or parents, and believe that you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, please review this website for more information on U.S. nationality law.

For information and to see the instructions to begin the application for renunciation of U.S. citizenship, please go here.

Persons who have or may obtain dual nationality status should visit the State Department’s travel website for dual nationals which covers the topics below:

  • Entry and Exit Requirements
  • Exit Bans
  • Limited Assistance Abroad
  • Notification and Access to Detained Dual Nationals
  • Military Service
  • Double Taxation

U.S. citizens traveling or residing in Turkey are subject to Turkish laws

Turkish-U.S. dual nationals may also be subject to additional laws that impose special obligations on Turkish citizens. Before traveling to Turkey, Turkish-U.S. dual nationals and U.S. citizens of Turkish origin or ancestry are strongly advised to check with the nearest Turkish Embassy or Consulate for special laws that may apply.

The laws of Turkey provide for acquisition of Turkish citizenship based on one’s descent–by birth to a Turkish citizen parent or parents in Turkey and also by birth abroad to a Turkish citizen parent or parents — regardless of the other nationalities a person might acquire at birth. Children born in Turkey of U.S. citizen parents do not have a claim to Turkish citizenship unless one of the parents is a Turkish citizen. The automatic acquisition or retention of a foreign nationality does not affect Turkish citizenship nor does the automatic acquisition of Turkish nationality affect U.S. citizenship. Turkish laws do not contain any provisions requiring citizens who are born with dual nationality to choose one nationality or the other when they become adults.

When a child acquires Turkish citizenship, the parents are expected to register the birth with the Nufus Mudurlugu (Vital Statistics Office) having jurisdiction over the place where the birth occurred. Children born abroad to Turkish parents should be registered with the Turkish Embassy or Consulate having jurisdiction over the place of birth. The Turkish Consulate forwards such registrations to appropriate “nufus” office through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. Those neglecting to register abroad may encounter difficulties making the appropriate registration when they return to Turkey.

Turkish-American dual nationals are required to use a U.S. passport to enter and leave the U.S. Likewise, Turkish officials expect you to enter and leave Turkey on a Turkish passport. Use of both passports does not endanger either citizenship.

Applying for a U.S. passport abroad is a different process from applying for one in the United States. The application forms, required documentation, and costs are the same, but expedited services are not available.