Internal Revenue Service (U.S. Taxes)

U.S. Tax Information for U.S. Citizens Overseas

Tax information, forms and instructions are easily available through the internet.  The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) does not have an office in Türkiye and the Embassy and Consulates cannot provide tax advice. Links to further tax filing guidance for U.S. taxpayers living abroad are available on the Federal Benefits and Obligations website.

If you are a U.S. citizen or resident alien living or traveling outside the United States, you generally are required to file income tax returns, estate tax returns, and gift tax returns, and pay estimated tax in the same way as those residing in the United States.  Your worldwide income is subject to U.S. income tax, regardless of where you reside.

Your income, filing status, and age generally determine whether you must file an income tax return.  Generally, you must file a return if your gross income from worldwide sources is at least the amount shown for your filing status in the filling requirement Chapter 1 of Publication 54, Tax Guide for U.S. Citizens and Resident Aliens Abroad. Publication 54 can be found at

Contact the International Taxpayer Service Call Center by phone or fax.  The International Call Center is open Monday through Friday, from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m. (Eastern Time).

Tel: 267-941-1000 (not toll-free)
Fax: 267-941-1055

Downloadable forms, publications, and answers to your federal tax questions can be found at The website contains a wide variety of topics, including information for international and military taxpayers.


Social Security Numbers are only available to U.S. Citizens and Legal Permanent Residents (LPRs, or “Green Card” holders). They are not issued to spouses of U.S. Citizens who are not LPRs or Turkish students going to the U.S. for college.

The Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN) was created for use as a tax reporting number for those taxpayers who do not qualify for Social Security Numbers. ITINs are for tax purposes only. The numbers are not valid as personal identification, and do not imply or in any way provide legal status in the U.S. or entitle holders to work in the U.S.

How to Apply for an ITIN

Obtain a certified copy of your passport at a U.S. Embassy or Consulate as a notarial service. The cost is US$50. You must apply in person with your passport.

You may also apply for an ITIN in-person using the services of an IRS-authorized Certifying Acceptance Agent.

For more information on ITINs please go to the IRS website.

The U.S. Department of Treasury and the Internal Revenue Service warn taxpayers of an e-mail-based scheme that attempts to trick taxpayers into submitting personal information such as social security numbers, driver’s license information and bank and credit card numbers.  

In this ploy, unsuspecting consumers receive an e-mail, claiming they are under investigation for tax fraud and are subject to prosecution. The e-mail informs recipients they can “help” the investigation by providing “real” information and directs them to an official-looking web site, where detailed personal information must be provided to dispute a charge.

The IRS does not use e-mail to contact taxpayers about issues related to their accounts. Official taxpayer contact usually consists of a letter on IRS stationery in an IRS envelope. IRS letters also contain a contact phone number.

Taxpayers who believe they have received suspect communication are encouraged to contact TIGTA. Additional information on identity theft and other fraud may be found at the following web sites: FTC’s Identity Theft Site and TIGTA.

Under FATCA, U.S. taxpayers with specified foreign financial assets that exceed certain thresholds must report those assets to the IRS. This reporting is made on Form 8938, which taxpayers attach to their individual federal income tax return.

To help individuals understand how FATCA may impact their filing and reporting responsibilities, we have redesigned the IRS website and made it easier to navigate. The main page for individuals is found at this link:

Answers to frequently asked questions about FATCA can be found here:

Please note: The Department of State assumes no responsibility or liability for the professional ability or reputation of, or the quality of services provided by, the entities or individuals whose names appear on the following list. Inclusion on this list is in no way an endorsement by the Department or the U.S. government. Names are listed alphabetically, and the order in which they appear has no other significance. The information on the list is provided directly by the local service providers; the Department is not in a position to vouch for such information.

1620 Travis St.
Columbus, Texas 78934
Tel: +1-713-870-5927
Fax: +1-979-484-8043
Skype: scolliercpa

US tax return preparer that specializes in US citizens abroad.

Ringbauer, Miklos, CPA, PMP
1613 Chelsea Road #228
San Marino, CA 91108
Tel:  +1-866-397-6184

The practice of Miklos Ringbauer, CPA, PMP provides strong experience and personalized services in accounting, tax preparation, and consulting services for Americans living abroad, individuals, and businesses that are subject to US tax laws and FBAR reporting. Contact us for a free consultation to find the right solution for you.

Zemelman I.J., EA
Taxes for Expats
121 Madison Ave, NY NY 10016
Tel: +1 646 EXPAT-US (397-2887)

Our site is an informational resource where expats can learn about their U.S. tax obligations (there is a special section explaining why all expats need to file US tax returns) as well as find out how our firm can assist them with tax preparation.