Notarial Services

Did you know?

A growing number of U.S. states accept documents notarized through online services. We recommend researching whether a virtual notary can be used in the state where your document will be filed. Remote notarization could fulfill your need for notary services more quickly.

Notarizations for a DS-3053 Statement of Consent or DS-5507 Affidavit of Parentage, Physical Presence, and Support can be completed by a local notary in Türkiye. The parent appearing for the interview with the minor child need only bring the original, notarized document and attached copy of a signed, government issued photo ID for the notarization.

U.S. consular officers may perform notarial acts for use in the United States only, with few exceptions (Turkish residency and marriage).  If your document is for use in Türkiye, obtain a notarial service locally. 

  • The documents notarized at the U.S. Embassy in Ankara for Turkish residency and marriage affidavit need to be taken to the Turkish Ministry of Foreign Affairs for signature authentication by scheduling an appointment at to COVID-19 restrictions we are not scheduling routine notary appointments. If you are experiencing an emergency which requires a notarial service, please use the Contact Us link to email us with details about your request and information on which documents you seek authentication.
  • Click here to find a list of competent authorities from which you can obtain an apostille certification in the U.S.
  • Türkiye and the United States are both signatories to the Hague Apostille Convention; information on this topic can also be found at the State Department’s website and below.
  • U.S. citizens or foreign nationals having business with U.S. may obtain notary services for documents for use in the United States. 
  • The fee for all notarial services is $50 for each consular signature. You may pay by cash (exact change) or credit card in dollars or the Turkish lira equivalent at the Embassy/Consulate, our rate might be different then the local rate. Credit cards will only be accepted if the card holder is present. We do not accept Turkish debit cards or checks.
  • You are responsible for confirming the contents and accuracy of the information contained in the documents, prior to notarization.
  • You will be asked to swear or affirm that you have read all documents and understand their contents.
  • Along with your documents, you must provide proof of identity which includes your signature.
  • If your notarial service requires witnesses, witnesses must come with you to the Consular Section.
  • Please do not sign your documents in advance. You are required to sign them in front of the consular officer.

  • If your intended service does not match the appointment you schedule online, we will not be able to assist you and you will need to re-schedule.   
  • Your are a U.S. citizen or your appointment is on behalf of a U.S. citizen.
  • Your appointment is for sworn statements with marriage and/or birth certificates issued in the U.S. for residency permit applications, DS-3053, or marriage affidavits.
  • You must be on-time and cannot arrive more than 10 minutes early.
  • You must arrive with identification and all required documents, photos, and photocopies.
  • You must arrive with cash (USD or TRY) or a credit card
    (Turkish debit cards or checks are not accepted) to pay for your service.

In order to confirm your understanding of these terms of service and schedule an appointment, please click the following link:  I acknowledge and agree to these terms and will adhere to the health and safety guidelines above. 

The U.S. Embassy in Ankara and the Consulates in Istanbul and Adana are not permitted to perform authentications of official Turkish documents. To obtain an authentication, you may go to the governor’s office and receive an apostille certificate. You must have your document translated into English by a sworn translator and notarized by the Turkish notary before taking them for apostille certification. Apostille certificates (documents which have the special Hague Legalization Certificate) are acceptable in all countries where the Hague Treaty is in force (including Türkiye and the United States) without need for authentication by any other authority.

Apostille certification is obtainable at:

Ankara Valiliği, Hukuk İşleri Şube Müdürlüğü

Istanbul Valiliği, Hukuk İşleri Şube Müdürlüğü

Adana Valiliği, Hukuk İşleri Şube MüdürlüğüAdana

The U.S. Embassy in Ankara and the Consulates in Istanbul and Adana are not authorized to perform authentications of seals and official signatures on public documents issued in the U.S., such as birth certificates, notarial, court orders, school records, etc. Please obtain an apostille certification from the authority that issued the document. To use the document in Turkiye, you must have your document translated into Turkish by a sworn translator and then obtain the apostille certification. Click here to find a list of competent authorities from which you can obtain an apostille certification in the U.S. Additional information on this topic can also be found at the State Department’s website.

The U.S. Embassy, Consulates and Consular Agent can provide notarial services related to yachts, boats and other water craft only if the agent provides correspondence from the U.S. Coast Guard Office of Commercial Vessel Compliance (CG-CVC) stating that notarizing such a certification of the requested document is appropriate.  Vessel owners and agents may contact CG-CVC by email at For more detailed information and list of documents, please click here.

The Embassy and Consulates cannot notarize or certify academic credentials; diplomas or school transcripts. Please do not schedule an appointment for this. Please contact the issuing educational institution. More information is available from the Department of State website here.

Information on how to obtain U.S. criminal records can be found here.

The Embassy and Consulates cannot provide copies of U.S. vital records.  Please do not schedule an appointment for this.  In order to obtain any state government issued document concerning birth, death, marriage or divorce, you may order one from the website of the National Center for Health Statistics.