Current operating status
Please note, for all in-person services: Due to health and safety restrictions, limited services are available. If you have had any cold or flu-like symptoms in the past 14 days, such as a fever, shortness of breath, or a persistent cough you will need to reschedule.
Applying for a U.S. passport abroad is a different process from applying for one in the United States. The application forms, required documentation, and costs are the same, but expedited services are not available.
Please use our Passport Wizard to fill out your passport application. Completing your application online and printing it will help assure timely and accurate processing. Note: you cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.
- The validity of your passport cannot be extended. If your passport has expired, you must apply for a new passport.
- If your full-validity passport expired on or after January 1, 2020 and you have an urgent need to return directly to the United States, you may be able to travel on the expired passport. For more information, please visit the Department of State’s website here.
- To renew a passport for a child under the age of 16, please follow the instructions for a minor passport application.
- If your child received a passport between age 0 and 5 and they are applying for a passport renewal, please provide yearly photographs to demonstrate the change in appearance.
- The processing time for passports is two to three weeks. The processing time for passport cards is one month.
- All passports are returned via courier company. Courier company charges a fee for the service on delivery.
- Individuals unable to communicate in English or Turkish should bring an official certified translator.
Returning to the United States on an Expired U.S. Passport
If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until June 30, 2022. See this page for more information.
You can renew your full-validity, 10-year passport by mail. Please review our website for mail-in options for passports that might be available to you.
The American Citizen Services fees are as follow:
|Adult Passport – first time or replacement||165.00|
|Adult passport renewal||130.00|
|Child under 16 passport – first time or replacement application||135.00|
|Adult Passport Card||30.00|
|Minor Passport Card (when also applying for a passport book)||15.00|
|Consular Report of Birth||100.00|
Forms of Payment
Credit cards: We accept most U.S. and Turkish credit cards. You can use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Novus/Discovery, and Diners credit cards.
Debit cards: We do not accept debit cards.
Cash: You can pay in U.S. Dollars or Turkish Liras. Exchange rate might be different from the local rate.
Checks: We do not accept traveler’s checks and personal checks.
Emergency Passport (EPDP)
Please note the following important information:
We strongly advise you to confirm the validity of your passport and resolve any passport-related issues before you book your travel.
If you have a genuine, travel-related emergency, an emergency passport (EPDP) can be issued, usually within a business day of your application. EPDPs are valid for up to a year, but may be exchanged within a year of issuance for a full-validity passport for no additional fee.
Please be aware that you will be required to schedule an appointment and appear in person at the U.S. Embassy in Ankara to apply for and receive an EPDP.
EPDP application instructions:
- If you are experiencing a genuine, travel-related emergency and would like to request an EPDP, you may schedule an appointment by contacting Embassy Ankara’s American Citizen Services Unit by emailing Ankara-ACS@state.gov.
- To apply for an EPDP, follow the general instructions for an adult or minor passport application.
Replacing an EPDP with a full-validity passport instructions:
- If you were issued an emergency limited validity passport (EPDP) because of an urgent need to travel, we encourage you to replace it with a full-validity passport immediately upon completion of your trip.
- You may exchange the EPDP free of charge for a full-validity passport within one year of the issuance of the limited passport.
- You must exchange the EPDP by mail if the EPDP meets the following requirements:
- was issued less than 12 months ago; and
- does not have an endorsement on page 11 stating “A fully validity passport must be approved by the Department of State”
- To exchange your EPDP by mail, you must mail in the following:
Please mail the above required materials to:
U.S. Embassy Ankara
Ataturk Blv No: 110
Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara
The U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, the U.S. Consulate in Adana, and Izmir Consular Agency do not accept mail-in passport applications.
If you are located in the U.S., please find additional information here: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/forms.html.
- If the EPDP does not meet the above mail-in requirements, please follow the general instructions for a new adult or minor passport application, which requires payment of the appropriate fee.