Current operating status
Please note, for all in-person services: Due to health and safety restrictions, limited services are available. If you have been outside of Turkey in the 10 days prior to your appointment, you will need to reschedule. In addition, if you have had any cold or flu-like symptoms in the past 14 days, such as a fever, shortness of breath, or a persistent cough you will need to reschedule.
Applying for a U.S. passport abroad is a different process from applying for one in the United States. The application forms, required documentation, and costs are the same, but expedited services are not available.
Please use our Passport Wizard to fill out your passport application. Completing your application online and printing it will help assure timely and accurate processing. Note: you cannot currently list a “Country” when completing the “Emergency Contact” section on our forms. Please list an emergency contact in the United States.
- If your passport has already expired, it cannot be extended. You must apply for a new passport.
- If your full-validity passport expired on or after January 1, 2020 and you have an urgent need to return directly to the United States, you may be able to travel on the expired passport. For more information, please visit the Department of State’s website here.
- To renew a passport for a child under the age of 16, please follow the instructions for a minor passport application.
- If your child received a passport between age 0 and 5 and they are applying for a passport renewal, please provide yearly photographs to demonstrate the change in appearance.
- The processing time for passports is two to three weeks. The processing time for passport cards is one month.
- All passports are returned via UPS. Courier company charges a fee for the service on delivery.
Returning to the United States on an Expired U.S. Passport
If you are overseas and your passport expired on or after January 1, 2020, you may be able to use your expired passport to return directly to the United States until December 31, 2021. See this page for more information.
Please also refer to the Embassy’s latest message on Direct Return to the United States with Certain Expired U.S. Passports.
You can renew your full-validity, 10-year passport by mail. Please review our website for mail-in options for passports that might be available to you.
The American Citizen Services fees are as follow:
|Adult Passport – first time or replacement||145.00|
|Adult Passport Card||30.00|
|Minor Passport Card||15.00|
|Adult passport renewal||110.00|
|Child under 16 passport – first time or replacement application||115.00|
|Consular Report of Birth||100.00|
Forms of Payment
Credit cards: We accept most U.S. and Turkish credit cards. You can use your Visa, MasterCard, American Express, Novus/Discovery, and Diners credit cards.
Cash and Checks: We do not accept traveler’s checks and personal checks. You can pay in U.S. Dollars or Turkish Liras.