Name Change and Correcting Passport Errors

To make a name change or correct information on your passport, you do NOT need to come to the U.S. Embassy or Consulate in-person. You can mail-in the necessary documentation. Some examples below:

  • When there is a change in your identifying information, such as name change due to marriage or by court order (please bring English translation of the court order)
  • To extend the validity of certain previously limited passports
  • To correct a Passport Services printing error.

Please fill out form DS-5504 online by using the passport wizard, print, and signThis form should only be used for making a data change for a previously issued, currently valid U.S. passport within one year from the date of issue. No fee is required if the date of issue is within one year. If it is MORE than one year since the date of issue, you must submit your application form using the online Passport Wizard and pay the applicable fees.

Mail the below documents to the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate:

  • Application form DS-5504. Do not forget to sign the application form.
    • You must provide your Social Security Number (SSN) in accordance with 26 U.S.C. 6039E.  Failure to provide information requested on the form, including your SSN, may result in significant processing delays and/or the denial of your application.
    • If you have never been issued an SSN, enter 000-00-0000 on the application form. You will need to apply for an SSN when you receive your new passport.
  • Current passport to be replaced
  • Documentation required for the change (see instruction on page 2 of the form)
  • One passport photograph. Photographs that do not meet the specified requirements will be rejectedYou must remove glasses for your passport photo, except in rare, medically-documented circumstances.
  • You can mail-in your application to Ankara or Istanbul depending on where you resideThe U.S. Consulate in Adana does not accept mail-in applications. You need to make an appointment with them.

    Ankara mail-in applications should be sent to:

    U.S. Embassy Ankara
    ATTN: Consular/ACS
    Ataturk Blv No: 110
    Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara

    Istanbul mail-in applications should be sent to:

    U.S. Consulate General Istanbul
    ATTN: Consular/ACS
    Poligon Mahallesi Sariyer Caddesi No: 75
    Istinye 34460 Sariyer, Istanbul

  • You can also submit your application in-person at the U.S. Embassy or  U.S. Consulates.
    • To apply in Ankara, Istanbul or Adana please schedule an online passport appointment by clicking here.
    • As of September 10th, Izmir Consular Agency will have appointments available in Izmir. To schedule an appointment, please email