Renew by mail if all of the following are true:
Your Most Recent U.S. Passport:
- is undamaged and can be submitted with your application
- was issued when you were age 16 or older
- was issued within the last 15 years
- was issued in your current name or you can legally document your name change
If any of the above statements do not apply to you, you must apply in person.
How Long Does it Take?
- Processing time is normally about 3 to 4 weeks, including shipping time.
- We return passports to you via UPS. Courier company charges a fee for the service on delivery.
- Expedited services or 1-2 day delivery options are not available in Turkey.
Step 1: Application Requirements
- Your most recent U.S. passport and a photocopy of it. We will cancel and return this passport to you with your new passport.
- Fill out and print your application form using the online Passport Wizard. The Passport Wizard will automatically direct you to the appropriate application form. When the Passport Wizard directs you to the “Next Steps” page, simply click “Create Form” at the bottom and print out the form it generates.
- SIGN YOUR APPLICATION FORM.
- One passport photograph that meets the specified requirements. You must remove glasses for their passport photo, except in rare, medically-documented circumstances.
- Name change documentation. If you have changed your name since your last passport was issued, legal name change documentation, such as your original marriage certificate or other legal document and a copy are required.
- You must sign the application form.
- You must provide your Social Security Number (SSN) in accordance with 26 U.S.C. 6039E.
- If you have never been issued an SSN, enter 000-00-0000 on the application form and fill out the following statement: SSN Statement: SSN Never Issued (PDF 89KB). You will need to apply for an SSN when you receive your new passport.
Completing the passport application form online: The below informational video from U.S. Embassy London may help you to fill out the passport form online.
Step 2: Application Fee
The passport application fee is U.S. $130. The passport card application fee is U.S. $30. Expedited services or 1-2 day delivery are not available in Turkey, so please do not include expedited service or 1-2 delivery fee in your check.
- For mail-in applications:
- you can pay with a cashier’s check (keşide çek) – bloke döviz çeki or yurtiçi döviz çeki* – issued by Garanti BBVA Bank (only the main city branches will be able to provide cashier’s checks in U.S. dollars).
- In order to obtain a cashier’s check, please ask your local Garanti BBVA branch if they have a USD blocked check on hand. Only the main city branches will be able to provide cashier’s checks in U.S. dollars. You can ask them to process the check from the drawing the check (keşide çek düzenleme) option.
- Cashier’s checks are valid for ten days and should be received at the Embassy at least three days before the expiration date. The check should be made payable to “U.S. Embassy Ankara.”
- The bank issuing the check may charge additional fees.
- If you are mailing in more than one application, please ensure each person applying has a separate check in the amount of $130. A single check for multiple applications will be sent back causing unnecessary delay.
- Pay online using the U.S. government’s secure payment site. Please note, this is for applications for passport books only. If you are applying for both a passport book and passport card, or only a passport card, you will need to use the alternative payment option above– cashier’s check (keşide çek) – bloke döviz çeki or yurtiçi döviz çeki*.
- Pay.gov can only be used for DS-82 forms and cannot be used for passport cards.
*If the Garanti BBVA Bank you are using is not familiar with the cashier check process, please have the representative get in touch with the Garanti BBVA Istanbul Branch at 0-212-229-6640 or Garanti BBVA Embassy Ankara Branch at 0-312-457-7370 depending on where you reside.
Step 3: Method of Application
Mail-in applications should be sent to:
U.S. Embassy Ankara
Ataturk Blv No: 110
Kavaklidere, 06100 Ankara
The U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, the U.S. Consulate in Adana, and Izmir Consular Agency do not accept mail-in passport applications.