In our previous message, we recommended that voters drop off their ballots to the Embassy or Consulates by October 1, to allow sufficient processing time between the Department of State and the U.S. Postal Service. If you have not yet returned your ballot, we recommend considering the following:
Actions To Take:
- If allowed by your state, return your Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot by email or fax. Review your state’s voting procedures at www.FVAP.gov carefully for guidance.
- Return your ballot to the United States via a commercial express courier service such as FedEx, UPS, or DHL or return your voted ballot electronically if allowed by your state. Ballots sent to local election officials via express courier service do not receive standard postmarks, so voters using this method should confirm delivery on or before November 3 prior to payment and shipment. Check your state’s voting procedures at www.FVAP.gov for guidance.
- Drop off your ballot at the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, Consulate General in Istanbul or Consulate in Adana by October 15. Either you, a friend, or a colleague could drop it off for you, by placing it in either a sealed U.S. postage-paid envelope (provided with the ballot) or a sealed envelope bearing domestic U.S. postage addressed to your local election officials. You can place your sealed envelope in designated ballot boxes, located outside the entrances to the U.S. Embassy in Ankara and the U.S. Consulate in Istanbul between 11:00 AM and 4:00 PM, Monday-Friday. If you would like to drop off your ballot at the U.S. Consulate in Adana, you will need to schedule an appointment by sending an email to CA-Adana@state.gov. However, please keep in mind that due to the late date, we strongly recommend you return your ballot visa a commercial express courier to ensure its timely arrival.
- Confirm your registration and ballot delivery online. Learn more at the Federal Voting Assistance Program’s (FVAP) website at www.FVAP.gov.
- Never received your ballot? If you registered to vote and requested an absentee ballot prior to your state’s registration deadline, but have not yet received your ballot, complete and return a Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot to ensure your vote reaches election officials by your state’s deadline. If your regular ballot arrives later, complete and return it as well. Your Federal Write-in Absentee Ballot will only be counted if your regular ballot does not reach local election officials by your state’s deadline. Your vote will not be counted twice.
- HELP SPREAD THE WORD ABOUT OVERSEAS VOTING. Please help spread the word to your friends, family, and colleagues that now is the time to start thinking about overseas voting. Consider posting to your Twitter, Instagram, Facebook or other social media account that you are an active voter and will be dropping off or mailing your Federal Post Card Application or completed ballot. Use #ProudOverseasVoter to help get the word out about voting. The Department of State is committed to assisting overseas voters in casting their ballots. For instructions on how to vote from Turkey, please see our website: https://tr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/voting/. For general overseas voting information please see the Department of State’s web site Absentee Voting Information for U.S. Citizens Abroad or FVAP.gov.
Need Help Voting from Overseas? Please contact the Voting Assistance Officers at +90-312-455-5555 (U.S. Embassy Ankara), +90-212-335-9000 (U.S. Consulate General Istanbul), and +90-322-455-4100 (U.S. Consulate General Adana), or at VoteAnkara@state.gov, VoteIstanbul@state.gov, and VoteAdana@state.gov. You can also contact the Federal Voting Assistance Program directly if you encounter issues with local election officials by emailing Vote@FVAP.gov or toll free by phone from many countries around the world.
Have Questions? We answered the questions we received from U.S. citizens in Turkey in our Voting Information Video. In the video, our Voting Assistance Officers also shared details about registering to vote and returning your ballots from overseas. You can contact the Voting Assistance Officers at VoteAnkara@state.gov, VoteIstanbul@state.gov, and VoteAdana@state.gov. For more information, please see our website: https://tr.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/voting/