FAQs – General Questions

General Questions

The U.S. Embassy in Ankara is the only post in our mission to Turkey where immigrant visas are processed.

The Immigrant Visa Unit is open to the public between 8:30 AM and 5:00 PM, Monday through Thursday.

From outside of the United States:
U.S. Embassy Ankara, Turkey
Consular Section
Immigrant Visa Unit
Ataturk Boulevard 110
06100 Kavaklıdere
Ankara, Turkey

From within the United States:
American Embassy Ankara
Immigrant Visa Unit
Psc 93 Box 5000
APO AE 09823

The Immigrant Visa Unit only accepts written electronic inquiries regarding specific cases on our website.  Please include your case number, full name and exact date of birth of the principal applicant.

By U.S. law and regulation, we may only respond to inquiries from applicants, petitioners, members of Congress, and/or attorneys of record.

Documents obtained from Turkish authorities do not require an English translation. For those obtained from third countries, one must provide an English translation from a certified translation provider.

If one of your parents was a U.S. citizen when you were born abroad and he/she lived in the U.S. for a total of five years (two of which were after the age of 14) prior to your birth, you may qualify for U.S. citizenship. To find out if you qualify for U.S. citizenship, submit an application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad.

If you were born in Turkey and are currently under the age of 18, your parents may apply at the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, the U.S. Consulate General in Istanbul, the U.S. Consulate in Adana, or with the U.S. Consular Agency in Izmir. Please visit this link:http://turkey.usembassy.gov/birth_abroad.html for further information on this issue.

If you were born in Iran and are currently under the age of 18, please consult with the U.S. Interests Section at the Embassy of Switzerland in Tehran. Their contact information can be found at:http://www.eda.admin.ch/eda/en/home/reps/asia/virn/fosteh.html.

The U.S. Mission in Turkey does not process Consular Report of Birth Abroad applications for applicants born in Iran. This processing is done through the U.S. Embassy in Bern, Switzerland. However, you may still submit your application to the U.S. Mission in Turkey and we will forward it to the authorized post for processing. Please understand that this may take more time than simply applying directly at the U.S. Interests Section at the Embassy of Switzerland in Tehran. If you still wish to file a Consular Report of Birth Abroad in Turkey, please follow think link for more information: http://turkey.usembassy.gov/iranian_born_children.html.

The U.S. Embassy in Ankara is not a designated post for refugee case processing. In Turkey, The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) has responsibility for assistance to, and protection of, refugees. Please direct your questions to The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) office in Ankara.

This is a decision that only you can make. Note that the U.S. Embassy does not endorse any provider of such services, nor does it maintain a “special relationship” with any individual or business offering advice or assistance with the visa process. No one can guarantee the issuance of a visa to you. All U.S. Government forms are free and available on the internet.

Beware: some visa applicants lose money and/or are permanently barred from the United States as a result of misleading information and fraudulent applications provided by “visa consultants”.

Every American citizen may write to Congress about any matter of concern. We reply to all congressional inquiries. Queries you send yourself will receive the same answers we send to members of Congress. As a matter of policy, we ask petitioners to limit inquiries to one channel of communication. If you choose to inquire through Congress, please do not send duplicate inquiries directly to the Embassy.

U.S. law mandates that information regarding any immigrant visa application be released only to the applicant, petitioner, attorney of record, and/or relevant Congressional office.

I received an e-mail message regarding the Diversity Visa Lottery Program. They requested payment for the application and told me that I would be banned from the DV entry for five years if I don’t pay. What should I do?

Diversity Visa (DV) notifications are not sent via e-mail.
Any e-mail which states that you have won the lottery or a green card is not legitimate. Diversity Visa Lottery entrants can check the status of their online application free of charge by visiting our website: www.dvlottery.state.gov. If a third party made the application for you, you should ask for the entry number.

The only way to apply for the DV Lottery is directly through the official site: www.dvlottery.state.gov during the specified registration period.

Only internet sites ending in “.gov” are official U.S. government websites. If you receive any e-mail from an address that ends in “.com,” “.net,” “.org,” or anything other than “.gov,” please be aware that it is not a legitimate e-mail from the U.S. Embassy or the Department of State.

For example, Consular-Ankara@state.gov  is a legitimate U.S. government address, however, Consular-Ankara@state.gov.com is not.

For more information, please visit our website.

No, a United States citizen cannot transmit citizenship to a spouse. If your spouse wishes to relocate with you to the United States, he/she will require an immigrant visa. A Legal Permanent Resident (LPR) who is married to a U.S. citizen may apply to become a naturalized U.S. citizen after three years of residence in the United States. Questions concerning this process should be addressed to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Effective August 15, 2011, petitioners residing overseas will no longer be able to routinely file Form I-130, Petitions for Alien Relative, with U.S. embassies or consulates where U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) does not have a public counter presence. Starting August 15, 2011, petitioners residing overseas in a country without a USCIS public counter presence will be required to file their Forms I-130 by mail with the USCIS Chicago lockbox.

Please note: the U.S. Embassy in Ankara, Turkey does not host a USCIS public counter presence. Therefore, if you are a resident of Turkey or Iran and would like to petition for a an immigrant visa for your relative, you will have to submit your forms by mail to the USCIS Chicago lockbox.

USCIS Chicago Lockbox addresses for regular mail deliveries:

P.O. Box 804625
Chicago, IL 60680-4107

USCIS Chicago Lockbox address for express mail and courier deliveries:

Attn: I-130
131 South Dearborn-3rd Floor
Chicago, IL 60603-5517

For additional information about how to file a Form I-130 with the USCIS Chicago lockbox, please see the USCIS website at www.uscis.gov or contact USCIS by phone at 1-800-375-5283.

Beginning August 15, 2011, petitioners who do not reside in a country with a USCIS public counter presence, such as Turkey and Iran, but who believe that their situation merits an exception, may request permission for our consular section to accept the filing.  Each request for an exception will be evaluated individually.

If you wish to request permission to file your I-130 with our consular section, please send us an e-mail with a detailed explanation of your circumstances which would necessitate an exception. The Consular Section will relay this request to the relevant USCIS field office for consideration.

If your baby’s mother or father is an American citizen, the child may have a claim to U.S. citizenship. For more information, please visit the American Citizen Services (ACS) portion of our site through this link:http://turkey.usembassy.gov/birth_abroad.html.

If your child has no claim to U.S. citizenship, it may be possible for him/her to derive status from the immigrant visa petition filed on your behalf, or for your spouse to file an immigrant visa petition for him/her. You should notify the Immigrant Visa Unit by phone or e-mail about the birth of your child.

All applicants registered for immigration are required to attend the interview in person for a formal visa interview with a U.S. Consular Officer, regardless of age.

No. Due to space and time limitations, the Consular Section cannot allow petitioners or legal representatives to participate in visa interviews.